Let's play guess how many - they're here! puppies

How many puppies do you think she will have?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 7 53.8%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Way back, when we had the surprise 14, the last two didn't make it and they were very tiny. Our vet said that because of the way we bred, multiple days, but every other day, that the pups conceived on the last breedings were just too small as the bitch whelped early, like day 58. He also said that the spines would be hard to see as not calcified as much as the pups that were conceived earlier. Hope whatever she has they are healthy and bet she will be thrilled to get rid of them.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
@babsbag it is amazing isn't it?! My nerves are on end lol. She is very large and uncomfortable just wanting it to be over and I can't blame her at all. Especially if there are that many in there. She was only bred once as this was not planned so it is all from the same exact time. Her milk came in or has started to ,bs he's still eating and drinking but earlier she was pacing and panting, following me around the house. We made up a large kids pool for her to have them in that is not far from the bedroom but getting her to have them in there may be the trick as she REALLY likes our bed and that is where she sleeps usually.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep looking at that picture...dang, it is crowded in there. Mine would never stay in the pool unless I stayed there too. Not fun sleeping in a kiddie pool.

What was she bred to? Have you done this before? I would always take their temp once a day, at night, starting a week before the earliest date and when it dropped below 100°she would whelp in the next 24 hours. I have since been told that isn't always accurate but for me it worked with 5 different litters. My LGD won't let me take her temp so with her it was the wait and see guessing game and many late nights in the barn.

:pop

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep looking at that picture...dang, it is crowded in there. Mine would never stay in the pool unless I stayed there too. Not fun sleeping in a kiddie pool.

What was she bred to? Have you done this before? I would always take their temp once a day, at night, starting a week before the earliest date and when it dropped below 100°she would whelp in the next 24 hours. I have since been told that isn't always accurate but for me it worked with 5 different litters. My LGD won't let me take her temp so with her it was the wait and see guessing game and many late nights in the barn.

:pop
the vet I worked for always Reccommended the temperature checking. I forgot about that.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
@babsbag I have done mini dachshunds before but it's been a while lol. I am a bit rusty but know the basics. Unfortunately she got crossed to our pyr / bernard mix:hide so we are having to watch carefully for any complications. The vet seems to think that with this many we will be ok:fl. The reason behind the xray was to determine if she needed a c-section with 4 or less pups. It is definitely not the case here . Our hopes were for collie pups next summer, had a male picked out and all.... sigh. Guess we are waiting a bit for that one.:smack She had other plans! I did try the temp but she won't have any part of it at the vet clinic and definitely wouldn't let me do it. :barnie milks in. She's clingy and she's very uncomfortable. Still eating normal and drinking well.