Let's talk about scurs....

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Is that the right term?

I've never had to deal with de-horning, always got grown-up goats, some with and some without horns. Years ago when I was a teenager and we had a couple of dairy goats, there was no de-horning of kids.....doelings were sold with horns and bucklings were.....er......eaten.

So I bought a doeling recently who seemed to be thoroughly disbudded, and things looked great, until a few days ago. I noticed a spot of blood on one of the scars and now there are two little horns sprouting towards the inside of the scars. They are tiny and perfectly even.

She came to me at five weeks old, and she is almost three months old now.

Is there any problem with just leaving them alone? Or do I have to take care of an unpleasant task?

eta: just found the recent post on scurs.....should've added to it....but it doesn't really address my question, so....... :rolleyes:

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hmmm....I'll try to take one, but she is kinda beige and still has her thick baby coat, so they probably won't show up yet on a photo.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a doe that was disbudded, had a scur appear on one of her horn sites and left it alone. (She's 1-1/2 years old now) A couple of weeks ago while playing the head butting game with her dam, she knocked it off. A little bleeding, but hasn't been a problem at all.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if the scurs are loose an floppy.id leave them alone.they arnt hurting anything.

Latest posts