Levamisole - Prohibit

TOPalmer3rd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all. New here but been around goats for a little over a year. I have a small herd of 15 in central florida. They are a boer/kiko mix. I have wormed in the past with ivermectin and cydectin orally. It has been almost 3 month since the last dworming. Almost the entire herd is starting to dry cough. I have not had any fecal tests done to date. I have been solely worming per eyelid color. My herds mucous membranes are not real pink but not white either. I have two does that just kidded. They are coughing worse than any of the rest of them. One of them can't even run without going into a coughing fit. I may have let it go to long. I was afraid to give her something because she was so far into her pregnancy that I didn't want to jeprodize any of her offspriong or her. After doing some research I am seeing mixed opinions on Levamisole - porohibit. In this area people are having an issue with resistance with Ivermectin.

I purchased the small pouch of prohibit from jeffers last week and recieved it in mail yesterday. I read to dose it 12mg per 1 kg of body weight on this forum. Sorry but I don't understand how to figure that one out. I have split the package into 4 equal parts. Each is to get exactly one cup of water added to it. I can accurately measure the weight of the goat with a scale and I can acurately measure in cc's or ml's but not mg's.

So with that said. Opinions using this stuff. How do I dose it. Any negatives anyone has experienced with this??

Thanks
Tom

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
FWIW, I do a lot of reading about worms / dewormers and it's my understanding that it's not just resistance that's the problem, more that the wrong dewormers are used at the wrong dosages.

I've also read that deworming w/ ivomec orally won't help w/ lungworm (if that's what you're suspecting) and that you can inject it a the cattle dose to treat lungworm. I would repeat in 21 days.

I've always used Valbazen for lungworm treatment (not safe for bred does, though) and had good luck.

I've never used levamisole.
I bought some....read how dangerous it is if overdosed, and I had the same problem you did trying to figure out the dosage, and so I gave up and took it back.

I use ivermectin at 1cc per 25# for stomach worm, Valbazen for lung worm / liver flukes and sometimes for stomach worms at 1cc per 40#, safeguard for tape worms at 3x the label dose for 3 days straight.

I use Cydectin *only* as a last resort...I've had a 100 ml bottle for 2 years and it's barely been used.

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never used the this wormer but I have a friend that has with no problems. I know you just have to be very accurate with weights.

Too figure the amount it should tell you the strength after reconstitution. Like, ?mg/?ml.

Then take the weight of your goat in pounds, divide it by 2.2 which is the conversion from pounds to kilograms.

Then you would take the 12mg x ?ml. Take that answer and divide by the ?mg. That will tell you how many mls it take to get 12 mg. of the Levamisole.

Example: IF??? reconstitued it is 10mg/1ml. Then 12mg x 1 ml /10mg = the number of mls needed to get 12 mg.

BUT, you said it says 12mg per kg. Then, you would multiply that by the kg you got by divide pounds/kg. Like I said, I have never used this wormer but that sounds like an awful lot to dose. When you look at the Jeffers site for sheep (and I know goats metabolize differently) it is only 1ml for every 50 pounds. So I would double check dose.

Hope this helps!

TOPalmer3rd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies thus far. The recommended dosages for sheep seem to be an acceptable amount in my opinion. I did the math on the 12mg/kg and that just seems like way to much to be given orally. I am not sure where this figure came about but I would like a second opinion on dosing.

I have a 160 lb herd sire named Cody. If I were to dose him the 12mg/kg method this is the math I came up with.

160lbs = 72.7 kg

12mg X 72.7 = 872.7 mg

If that amount is correct then how many mgs per ml in the standard mixture of a 46.8 gram package mixed with one quart of water???

I actually called Agrilabs and they would not give any advice since I was administering it to goats.

ANy help would be appreciated.

I can very clearly see how one can miscalculate a dosage.

THx
Tom

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm glad your checking it out. I wouldn't want you to OD them.

There is another forum I visit that has always been very good on info and they say:' "give 2 Tablets/100 lbs (3.5mg/lb) or 1 oz/100lbs--5mg/lb.

But again I have never used it. I know with other wormers like the Cydectin Sheep Drench you double because of goats metabolize differently, but like you said, when you do the math, that is waaaaaaay over double. I agree until you know for sure, I would think sheep dose would be safest. I do know you aren't supposed to give it to pregant does. Just FYI if you didn't already know.

Good luck!:D

TOPalmer3rd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I read somewhere but can't seem to find out where that it is 900mg/ml but I want to double check. Still searching

Tom

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
TOPalmer3rd said:
If that amount is correct then how many mgs per ml in the standard mixture of a 46.8 gram package mixed with one quart of water???
There are 46,800mg of levamisole in a 46.8g package, and there are 946ml in a quart.

That's about 49.5mg of levasole per ml of solution.

I have a 160 lb herd sire named Cody. If I were to dose him the 12mg/kg method this is the math I came up with.

160lbs = 72.7 kg

12mg X 72.7 = 872.7 mg
So if you divide 872.7 by 49.5, you get 17.63ml. That might sound like a lot of liquid, but it's really just a teensy bit more than half a nyquil cap full...a little bit more than a tablespoon.

Bear in mind that I'm not making any guarantees here, so double, triple, quadruple check that math, and understand that if you get the same numbers I get and dose him based on that, it's still on you if he keels over dead..

I'm just here to *try* and help with the math. :lol:

( :hide )

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I was hoping he'd come along...

I just do NOT have a head for 'figures'...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Actually, the easiest solution to this problem would *probably* be to simply mix is according to label directions and then dose at 1.5x whatever the package says for sheep.. I don't *know* that to be true, but I'm pretty sure sheep get 8mg/kg, whereas goats get 12mg/kg.

On the downside...you'd also be wasting the lion's share of a packet of Prohibit unnecessarily on 12 goats, because most would go unused and would eventually have to be discarded.. :/