LGD caught eating a chicken

chemew

Just born
Reaction score
Yesterday we caught our two great pyrennes puppies (about 4 months old) eating one of our chickens. They spent the first 3 months with the chickens in their run during the day so this isn't new to them. They also have never shown any aggression to the chickens and still don't. However, they do like to play and will try to romp with them and then will chase them if they run - which they always do. The puppies have a happy smile and are waving their tales while giving chase. This doesn't seem like they want to eat them every chance they get.

When I saw what was happening, I ran out there, growled at them, and made sure the dogs knew this was not "ok".

My theory is they were playing with the chicken and things got a little rough. I'm not sure why they starting eating though and that has me concerned.

I spent today taking chickens, calling the dogs over, and telling them this is my chicken. I've been holding the chickens to their nose and letting them smell and lick them while repeating the words "guard" and "gentle". So far, they haven't tried to eat one again. I also let the chickens free range during the day and the dogs don't seem to care about them until they decide they want to play.

Is what I'm experiencing normal? Why would they eat the dead one? Am I responding correctly? Should I be doing something else?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm

This is a link to training anatolian dogs but it is good info. I hope it helps. please do not give up on your puppies. My LGD killed a young chicken last year. It shocked me and I thought it was all over and that I must be doing something wrong. I googled and read all I could read on the subject..... of raising LGDs ...... I read somewhere that young chickens are too tempting for unproven dogs. I know that you never ever let any undesirable behavior slide. I take my dog and I push him on his side on the ground ...then I spit in his face close to his mouth. This is what their moms do when they are puppies. I started it back when he was young and he knows he is in trouble when i do this. Whenever I notice him licking his lips and staring at them, I tell him no. If he chases one or puts his mouth on one I knock him down and spit .. sounds crazy I know.

This year he is 18 mo old and can be trusted with any full grown chicken. I do NOT leave him with the half grown chickens ever... they flutter and entice. We are making progress.

Currently we are working on goats. He is horrible with the kids. He chases and terrorizes them. He is not trusted with them ever. He is however doing much better with the full grown goat and I am not giving up on him. I take him on a leash every morning to do my chores with the goats and chickens. I let go of the leash but it is dragging close behind him incase he zones out and starts acting like a predator.

I think my dog is starting to understand that the chickens and goats are important and this is helping him fight the URGE to chase and play ...

Seeing improvement with the chickens has given me hope for the relationship with the goats too. I pray a lot... and I am consistent any time I notice undesirable behavior of any kind towards the animals.

Good Luck

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bedste is right, young chickens (and actually any poultry) are just too tempting for unproven dogs.
Especially for puppies and that goes even more if you're raising 2 or more puppies at the same time.

It takes a lot of time, energy and dedication to get them to leave chicken alone in the first year. My advice would be: don't ever let them be around chicken unsupervised until they're at least 18 months.
Let them interact with chicken only when you are around so you can correct them every time they start chasing/stalking the chicken (many people keep their pups on the leash, so the correction happens quicker).
If you do this every single day and remain consistent you will notice a progress.
And it also helps to drain their energy first before you start the training by playing with them or taking them for long walks.
Having these "quality moments" with them will help you form a closer bond with your dogs and then they'll listen better.
But that's just my opinion of course.

Do take a look at the link Bedste mentioned. I think it's very informative and I'm going to bookmark it.
Thanks Bedste

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When my LGD started mouthing the baby goat I put some habanero sauce on the baby goats. I made sure to just put it on the tips of the hair on the neck where it meets the shoulder. Stopped him real quick from mouthing. As long as the babies are still with the mom she will protect them

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
you are welcome. I know how much this site helped me.

:0)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, these things happen when they're young. I don't subscribe to the "once a chicken killer, always a chicken killer" philosophy, because my LGD killed and at a chicken, then killed another young chick a few weeks later when he was just a pup. He's never killed a chicken since then and he doesn't look twice at them anymore.

I did catch him holding a young chick down with his paws (back when he was a pup) I screamed at him and he let the chick go. He ran away from me and laid down and rolled on his back and showed his belly. That was the last time I've ever seen him go near a chicken.

Actually the other day I found him sitting next to a baby bird that had fallen from its nest. It seems that my boy is instinctively understanding that smaller, weaker animals are not a threat to his herd and he's actually "guarding" the little ones now. I recently added two 1 week old baby goats to the herd and my dog immediately began keeping special watch over them.

However, he still kills ground hogs and chases racoons and foxes, just like he's supposed to!

Its probably just adolescence and your pups will grow out of it, especially if you reinforce that this behavior is unacceptable.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that having 2 pups is a lot harder than one. I raised 2, they will be 2 yrs old this summer. They killed more than one chicken. They killed 3 or 4 in the first year, and yes, they ate them. Then the behavior stopped until we had puppies. It was the pups awakened a fun game in the parents. I finally resorted to an electric collar. Everytime they would look at a chicken I would shock them on as high of a setting as I could. That worked as long as I was there and they had the collar on.

I rolled them, I growled at them, I tied a dead chicken on them (thier partner chewed it off). Finally I left the collar on them for about 2 weeks with no battereis. They hated the collar so much that they quit. They haven't done any damage for over 6 months.

Time and perserverance, but 2 is harder than 1 to train, of that I am certain. I still would not leave them with chicks.

Luckily mine have been great with the goats no matter the age.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
An adult livestock guardian dog will usually eat whatever dies in his pasture. They know that dead animals draw predators so generations of instincts tell them to clean up messes. so don't stress too much about them eating the chicken. It was dead (even though they did it) so they ate it. Don't give up on them. They really should be supervised with stock until they are older. Puppies will play and some animals die very easily.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I jinxed myself by posting in this thread.

I put 15 young chickens in the coop last night, late, and I didn't introduce them to my dogs. This morning I caught my female LGD having a chicken breakfast. I gave her the scolding of her life, made her lay down with the dead chicken on her, and a live one. I made sure the live one was one of the new ones.

She has been perfect for about 4 months...I am very very very mad at her and she knows it.

http://www.canterlc.com/StopChickenKillerDogs/blog/

I have not watched this video, however I did talk in length with the maker of the video before it was released. One of the things he said was that the dogs need to smell the vent of the chicken. That is how they identify that they are part of the "herd". Now I can't say that I have time to introduce each chicken to my dog in that manner, but I do know that when I do introduce a chicken to the dog that is the first place they sniff. Maybe there is something to this.

Either way, chickens run, and squawk, and fly, and they are the ultimate squeaky toy. I have had mine catch them and hold them down, and if I happen to be there they will release it on command and the chicken runs off. They do not catch them and kill them immediately, it is more a game that gets out of control. It is almost like they literally lick them to death. I have even found them guarding a very injured chicken (they injured it). They don't kill for sport, if they did, they would be gone, it is just an unfortunate byproduct of the game.

I will probably put the collar back on her tonight. She HATES that thing and mopes like the dickens. She knows why she is wearing it.

Back to the drawing board.

Latest posts