LGD HELP!!

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So you feel he can still turn out to be a good LGD dog even though hes already this old? If I can keep him in the fence I can try and work with him

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So you feel he can still turn out to be a good LGD dog even though hes already this old? If I can keep him in the fence I can try and work with him

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol not snarky at all, thank you! And recommendations for the jumping the fence? I use the redband and he just smooshes it down. And I'm not sure if I can run electric as the ground is frozen so I cant do a ground wire until spring :/

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a free chicken killing Great Pyrenees. It took me two years and a lot of work and patience to turn into the best chicken guard you ever saw. BTW I worked 10 hour days. Then several years later we moved to 8 acres and got Sheep. I started all over again. She is quirky and has her ways, but we both learned to work together. She gets lots of love and attention. It can be done. Your dog is still a puppy, the equivalent of a human teenager. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wanted a LGD. I wanted one bad, but I knew that living in town on a small lot was not the place for one. In the meantime, I READ THE FORUM! I educated myself all I could. Paris came about because someone else had already messed her up and wanted to get rid of her. We raised our chainlink fence 3 feet and I went and got her. I read the forum some more. I asked questions. I applied what I learned to this wacko dog I now had. It took time, dedication, attention and love to turn her around. Even though we are on 8 acres now, Paris is still in love with HER back yard, so we ran a fence from the back yard to the sheep barn so she could have both her safe space and watch over the sheep.

I have the deepest and utmost respect for @BrendaMNgri and have learned a lot from her postings. Her comment was not directed at me, but at the whole situation. The OP needs to educate herself on LGD's, they are NOT your normal dog. They are independent thinkers and require a different kind of training. It just so happens that we have a woman wo has devoted her life to these dogs and she has a book about them.

@B&B Happy goats It's all good. We're friends here and maybe sometimes things come out a little sideways, maybe sometimes we just understand things a little sideways.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a wonderful way with words Bay thank you.......I do have a LITTLE understanding of the LGD as a neighbor had two and i convinced them to let one go to a LGD rescue. ( and now is a happy working farm dog) The other is chained in a goat yard....it breaks my heart, but i am ALLOWED sometimes to let her loose and hang out with me...I see and feel the independence , i feel her sadness and it breaks my heart . I have to see this every day, i feel it every day...there are days when i am the one filling her bowl with food and her pail with water...it is not a easy situation to discuss, i wish i could groom her, care for her and work with her.....I feel the passion that you and SBC have and i admire you both for all that you contribute to this site and the love that you give to animals.....hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read all the time on FB groups that "these dogs aren't mature (replace "mature" with can't be trusted) until they are 2 years old". Makes me crazy.:barnie Physically, yes, they aren't mature, but locking them up away from livestock until the age of 2 and then expecting them to magically know what to do is asinine. And then to get a pup at 10-12 weeks and have to put in a two year investment before any ROI is seen...who has that kind of time? I sure don't. My dogs started barking and guarding at about 6 months of age. I have good fences so I never worried about them engaging a coyote, I just need them to bark. Whenever I read the "two year old" statement I see red. LGD are better than that and that crazy rumor on FB sure isn't doing them any favors.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree, agree, agree!

That said, I think BrendaMNegri has a lot of great information to share. She is very knowledgeable. So do Southern, Baymule, Devonviolet, babsbag, and all the BYH posters with working LGDs. To really understand the way LGDs work, you have to understand the way their mind thinks, and their pack structure. BrendaMNegri has researched and observed her dogs, and put it in a book. The rest of us have observed our dogs and just share bits of what we know on this site. A lot of us know stuff we do not even realize we learned from observation of our dogs, both good and bad. If someone suggested a book to read about LGDs by another author, no one would think it unusual. Let's not think that she suggests her book because she wants to sell a copy. BrendaMNegri believes in her research and training methods, that is why she wrote the book. That is why she recommends it.

To understand how to properly raise and train a good obedience dog (not an LGD - LOL) you have to buy the right breed, understand the pack nature of dogs, and train accordingly. I believe in behavior prevention which results in less punishment, more praise and better training. However, while I prefer to keep my obedience dogs in the house, you can raise a good hunting dog, obedience dog, etc., even when it is kenneled except when you do the training. This does not work for LGDs.

LGDs are a completely different kettle of fish (or kennel of dogs - LOL). Their guarding behavior drive is instinctual but they need training too. Their entire genetic makeup requires them to think for themselves and reason what is a threat to their flock/pack/family. They cannot do their job if they are kenneled even part of the time. We kennel our LGDs when strangers are around because Bubba is not good with strangers. If we are going to lock up our dogs, we keep the sheep in their night pens on those occasions. LGDs require specialized training. Pups will often try to play with their charges. This is not permissible. They need to learn to respect perimeters and fencing. You will need to be the Alpha with these dogs, but not by punishment. We use our voices to control them. There is a lot of training that goes into these dogs to make them good guardians. AND not every individual in an LGD breed makes a good flock guardian! Different guardians suit different situations.

It is important to understand that not all LGDs make perfect flock guardians. Some are devoted to their flocks, while others are better at being all around ranch guards, while some are family/people oriented. The good breeder identifies these qualities in their dogs and chooses the best dog for the best situation. Unfortunately, you relied on the breeder and she did not deliver the goods - in fact she did not know how to train or recognize a good LGD prospect.

Depending on how many sheep you have, the size of your property, and the layout of your pens, barns, and home, this dog, who you think prefers to be a family dog, can be trained to be a property guardian instead of a straight flock guardian. Depending on your situation this might be all you need to give back up to your older LGD. Bubba does not remain all day with our flock, Rika does. While he is not with the sheep 24/7 he can be anywhere on the property in about 10 seconds flat. He is very watchful during lambing season and adores the lambs. At night he patrols the entire property with Rika. It works for them. Rika is 6 and I am getting a replacement for her soon. I need a straight flock guardian. My breeder knows this and selects accordingly for the home or ranch where the dog is to go..

We need more information from you. What kind of fences do you have? How high are they? While he jumps out of the sheep pen, does he stay on the property? Does he stay inside the perimeter fence or does he jump out and go roaming? Is he content to be in the yard near the house or does he try to claw his way indoors? How does he behave when with you and how does he behave when you go iside and watch him through a window? These are all variables we need to know in order to help you. Confining him to a pen and having him chew up the stock tank heater sounds like boredom and normal puppy behavior. Rika "killed" all our hoses and left them in pieces until she was 3. Bubba ate the cushions on our outdoor furniture, and chewed the legs of our kitchen chairs when DH left him in the family room unsupervised. Puppy behavior.

In my opinion since you don't have the time necessary to retrain this dog and since your female may be having puppies, I would rehome him with someone who has the time, and hopefully experience, to work with him consistently. At 12 months he is still a puppy, but he is big and powerful. His fear of or aggression to the sheep makes him unsuitable for the purpose for which you bought him. Find him a home with someone who can train him.

On a cautionary note, you said that your current dog "will train the puppies" for you. This is not going to happen. She can only do so much. You will have to do a lot of training on these puppies to make them into good guardians. Just because their mother is a good livestock guardian, does not mean that all of the pups will be. Half may be like the sire, although I think a lot of his problems are due to poor training in his early stages, and a lack of socialization from being locked up alone.

Mainly, though, getting the dog from an experienced owner-breeder-trainer is the best start to a good dog. We started with LGDs back when you were not supposed to touch them Now we know better. Our first 5 LGDs were literally our learning dogs. They were all young puppies and we had to train them. They were good and we learned a lot from them and about LGDs. When it was time to buy another LGD after Poppy died of cancer we decided to switch breeds since all our Pyrs were excape artists. We were lucky enough to have found a great breeder who is always there for me for any problem. After 30 years with LGDs we still have questions, behavior concerns, etc. We were also lucky to have had the money to invest in a great Anatolian. She was 18 months old, completely trained, and perfect. We bonded on the way home from Texas - a 3 day drive.

Our second Anatolian we got from the same breeder as a pup. He was the only male and Erick probably would have chosen a different dog for us since Bubba prefers to guard the entire property and us rather than the sheep only. He has gotten better now that he is 3 years old, and Rika has trained him a lot. So have we. Bubba's training is ongoing. If Bubba were our only flock guardian it is possible that we would not be as happy with him. On the other hand, if Rika were not the superlative guardian she is or if Bubba were the only LGD, he might behave differently. Many times when I have come to believe that he has little interest in the sheep, I Iook out the window to see him occupying Rika's preferred guarding spot on top of the ridge. From there the dogs can see the entire gully and the back hills where the coyote danger is. Always these dogs amaze me.

Hopefully, you will come to the right decision about your new dog.