LGD or farm dog?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I insist on applications. And puppy agreement which is and can be legally enforced (courtesy of another breeder friend who had attorney draw it up), and includes mandatory spay/neuter agreement now, something I wish I'd done sooner. You live you learn.
If someone is 'intimidated' by this process, I most likely would never sell them a dog to begin with. But then I am uber-choosy.
People will hide things. I've been doing this too long, not to have found that out the hard way. OUCH.
By vetting out references on an application I was able to stop a sale of two Spanish Mastiff pups to a couple involved in dog fighting.
A mere phone talk would have never found that out.
Sadly, people lie. Integrity is not the norm anymore. It's a whole new world out there, and a lot of it is not pretty.
As for under-dogging - a mantra of too many farms and ranches….I wrote years ago an article for sheep! Magazine about numbers.
I'll have to find it and post under separate thread as to not hijack this one.
Oh and happy new year all.

It is a start. I do far more than that. Phone weeds them out better than applications IMO.
What is on paper is one thing. Certain dogs have restricted breeding rights however I am not a spay neuter fan.

I do on site visit, evaluations, have a throrough contract as well.
Out of state clients I have photos of property, fencing, satellite, and general references.
I will travel up to 4hrs for a site visit. Vetting is extensive.

In 35 years I have seen alot... with many breeds.
I have had ONE that ended up as a regret situation. I also do not breed and breed and breed.
Far too many dogs out there that need retraining and are rehomed so I focus there.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may not have much land but it is very hilly and you can't see from one side to the other at all. There is no way even two dogs could persuade a determined pack of coyotes to go elsewhere if they really wanted to challenge my fences. Because of this I bring my dogs and goats into a smaller area at night so that there is one more fence to cross before reaching my herd. The threat is mainly coyotes but bobcat, bears, and mountain lions have all been spotted within 1000' of my land. When I get the 8 acres next to me 3 of it will be open at night, at least to the dogs, so there will be even more guarding to do. I have 3.25 dogs right now. :D

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
The breeder we got our alano from has like a 7 page application to start. We got to skip it because we knew him personally. Dog fighters would love to get their hands on this breed.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The breeder we got our alano from has like a 7 page application to start. We got to skip it because we knew him personally. Dog fighters would love to get their hands on this breed.

We have people that stop by sometimes that ask questions about the dogs... I am pretty blunt. NC has a lot of fighting dogs. It is disgusting to say the least. I swear it is PB capital of the Country.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize that. I kinda (not being judgemental here) thought it was like a Chicago/Detroit... Big city thing. I didn't realize NC was a big dog fighting area. Alanos don't really react to pain. Often they're very seriously ill before you know anything is wrong. I shudder to think what would happen if fighters got them.