LGD or farm dog?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a guy that wanted a bunch of chickens. Didn't care what breed. Or gender.

Asked several times why he wanted the birds. We don't care if he wanted them for meat but he never gave a clear answer.
First it was his son or grandson wanted chickens. Then he just said he just wants chickens… was really insistent on getting them. Just seemed shady. Called constantly and wanted our address. (Never gave it to him)

He wanted them as bait birds. :mad: :rant:somad

Big $ in cock fighting apparently. Our NPIP lady was involved (or folks she knew through her job) in busting a big fighting area. The stuff people put on their birds is awful and people apparently bet $1000's on some of these fights :eek:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mexico has cockfighting events- it is normal.... we have a very heavy Mexican population here.
There has always been this going on in the South but it is very different now.
Cockfighting is huge. Further South it is worse.
They tie razor blades to their feet. SICK!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also didn't know you had a large Mexican population in NC. I'm feeling like a sheltered country bumpkin northerner.

I had heard that about the razor blades. Unfortunately. Infuriating!

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
On the topic of cockfighting I'm sure many of you know about dog fighters using large white dogs like Akbash, Pyrs, Maremmas, etc. to use as bait dogs / training bait for fighting dogs. I have heard about this from Pyr rescue groups and Pyr breeders, for years. My paranoia runs deep…….there was a cockfighting ring busted in Winnemucca Nevada where I live, not long ago. Large Mexican population here and we now have dog fighting problems here too. Its pandemic and all over, and sad and just makes me…more paranoid. Good strong fences, a loaded 1911 .45 by my bed locked cocked and ready to rock…and locked gates folks….my mantra. And big dogs who trust no one outside the gate past sunset or after dark…… :somad

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep- folks have had lots of dogs stolen here in NC. For fighting and bait dogs.

Just realized what thread this is on. Sorry for the hijack :hide

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey I just realized I was the OP and I don't like staying on topic so it's cool! Lol

If we bring the dogs anywhere in the car with us, I worry that someone will want to steal my alano. They'd never steal my mutt, but my alano is dumb and loves everyone.

Do people steal dogs from fields?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard of dogs being taken. I have also heard of trailers backing up stealing whole herds and the dogs jumped right into the trailer!
No one can enter a field without us and some fields I simply cannot take someone in at all.
Our dogs stopped an attempted livestock theft here.
Outside their field if we are with them most are social but not all. I personally don't see this as a negative trait however.
I don't care for overly aggressive dogs, won't tolerate a fear biter, but a dog with discernment is a gem!

Of course there are down sides. We can never have a farm sitter. It has to be a family member. :\