LGD puppy developed bowing of legs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pinkie Pie is such a pretty girl! Sooo glad that her leg is straightened back up and that she is doing so well. That doesn't look like much mud!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pinkie Pie is such a pretty girl! Sooo glad that her leg is straightened back up and that she is doing so well. That doesn't look like much mud!

I'm so glad too! Thank you for all your help and support on this, Bay! :hugs :love I'm thanking God for her recovery as well....it was so pitiful to see her walking like that and I couldn't help but feel responsible for it. It's simply lovely to see her running, jumping up on high things and standing square on those front legs.

That's more mud than I like to see! We've got a lot of expose earth since the logging and it's bugging me like crazy! It's like seeing someone with their skin peeled back....never healthy, never good for the soil and water just runs off, taking topsoil with it. Can't wait to get a bale roller made and start rolling out these mulch bales on any and all bare spots I see.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The true proof of Pinky's recovery was what I witnessed today...she was playing with Blue. Rough, running, wrestling and jumping with Blue and that's the first time I've seen her do that. Every time he would attempt to play with her before she would yelp loudly and he would leave her alone. They've been playing hard for a couple of hours now, off and on, and Blue is finally ensconced on the round bales, safe from puppy mayhem. Good to see!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

Pinkie has recovered!

You got it exactly right, Bay...that's exactly how I feel! It was so pitiful to see her trying to run and walk on those buckled joints and I'm simply amazed at how quickly she was restored to full use! Just on feeding the right dog food, deworming and supporting her joints for a few days and she's back and growing like a weed.

Today she was strong enough to play with Blue for a long, long time and also to pull him off of Shine when he was trying to stop Shine from walking away.

Those emojis depict exactly how I feel to see her straight and strong. I keep thanking God for it all and feeling blessed to the max.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update on Pinky's legs. That bag of dog food is nearly gone now and Pinky's legs have indeed straightened and strengthened, with no signs of lasting damage from her brief stint of rubber legs. Pics of Pinky now, at 4.5 mo. of age, with her work partner, Blue, 1.5 yrs of age.

100_2545.JPG

100_2543.JPG

And Pinky finally gets the lying down and waiting for her food...took her awhile to do it consistently and without squirming, but now she does it quicker than Blue does.

100_2546.JPG

From now on, any pups I get here will start out on that type of dog food if I can continue to find it. It's been great, she loves it and she's in peak physical health. Best outcome!

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww..... they both look so sweet, waiting on their food! Sentry ALWAYS sits, wiggly and excited, but sits. Sheba-NOT! When we had out grand daughters last weekend, the youngest took Sentry's bowl to feed him. I told her to tell him to sit, she did and he did. I told her to tell him to take it, she did and he did. She liked that.

Pinkie is looking so healthy and strong. She is a lovely pup and is making an awesome dog.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww..... they both look so sweet, waiting on their food! Sentry ALWAYS sits, wiggly and excited, but sits. Sheba-NOT! When we had out grand daughters last weekend, the youngest took Sentry's bowl to feed him. I told her to tell him to sit, she did and he did. I told her to tell him to take it, she did and he did. She liked that.

Pinkie is looking so healthy and strong. She is a lovely pup and is making an awesome dog.

Isn't it cool when they "get it"? It took this pup so very long...the very first time, she laid down like she knew what to do. Every time after that, no way.....she just couldn't grasp the concept for so long and no amount of training like I had used with the other dogs yielded anything in her mind. Finally, I just kept taking her bowl back every time she moved and would let Blue start eating because he waited properly. Well, that finally got her attention and the light came on. Now she lays down before he does!

I love letting the grandgirls help in feeding...it really helps the dogs get used to little ones being around their food while they are eating. I monitor it closely so the dogs could never lunge out unexpectedly towards the girls. Much like your good dog, Sentry, these dogs will sit and lie down for the girls but no amount of them saying the release word will get those dogs to budge an inch. That always frustrates Aliza. :gig She just doesn't understand why that happens that way.

Bay, I still haven't leash trained Pinky...she screams and makes such a fuss that I need to schedule blocks of time to tame that wild animal and I just haven't had the time lately. The other dogs I had time of a morning to do a little leash training each day and just a little training here and there did it. I've never had one scream and squall like she does...she's a whole other breed of cat. :rolleyes:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about a long leash, just clip it on and let her drag it for awhile, while you are out there with her. Give her a treat, if she will take it. Then unclip the leash, praise her profusely.

Granddaughter #3 helped me feed Sheba too. Sheba had a bone and a tiny, very quiet growl came from Sheba. I very calmly scolded her, took the bone out of her mouth and fussed at her. She was crushed. Sentry did the same thing, all it took was one low key scolding. Anatolians are awesome.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about a long leash, just clip it on and let her drag it for awhile, while you are out there with her. Give her a treat, if she will take it. Then unclip the leash, praise her profusely.

Granddaughter #3 helped me feed Sheba too. Sheba had a bone and a tiny, very quiet growl came from Sheba. I very calmly scolded her, took the bone out of her mouth and fussed at her. She was crushed. Sentry did the same thing, all it took was one low key scolding. Anatolians are awesome.
Yes, they are! Very intelligently frustrating. She don't mind wearing a leash it's just when it restricts her movement that she screams. All other dogs I've leashed trained "get it" within a few short minutes...you walk, the leash isn't tight. You walk without pulling you get treats and lots of praise. She doesn't seem to get it. I think she may be a left brain dog. :D =D She'd likely drag a leash all day long and not care...but pick it up to direct her in a direction, then the screaming, squalling and rolling on the ground commences. Never saw such a drama queen in all my life! I'll have to try different tactics on her, most likely, than I have with the others...she is much more stubborn. These females are way different than the males, I'm finding.

Blue, on the other hand, is WAY too smart for his own good. We've been having to apply the shock collar for something he's been doing, but he knows when he's wearing it, then doesn't do the bad thing...he also knows if the battery is dead or if we aren't home to give the correction, then he proceeds to do the bad behavior. So, it's very hard to use the shock collar to correct this dog.

You are WAY more patient than I am, Bay....that first tiny growl gets a huge escalation from me. Over the top, surprising, unforgettable and anything but calm. I've never had one of the dogs growl at the girls but they'd likely wake up in the next week if they did. I start pups out with me messing in their feed bowl while they eat...if they growl they get a bark/growl and a body flip far away from the bowl, then I stand over the food so they can't come back until I let them. Then I let them, but put my hand back in the bowl and mess with the food while they eat. Haven't had any of them growl again after that. So far, only the females have growled that first growl, that I can recall. It's always the girls, huh?