LGD space?

How much space do you think a *true* LGD needs?

• Total voters

Mfrantz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
large herding dogs would work better for poultry and rabbits although in california it might not work

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
large herding dogs would work better for poultry and rabbits although in california it might not work
Actually if you are training your herding dogs to be actual herders geese, ducks are best. Outside of that no, herding breeds are not good for chickens or rabbits in general because they have high prey drive and will not protect them. These are usually animals they consider prey.
They can be trained to leave them alone and not eat them but they generally will not guard them.

Mfrantz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
really? i assumed since they did well with ducks they did fine. our aussie doesnt attack our chickens(she loves that she finally has something to herd).

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Herding is her natural instinct as is my GSD. She however does not see them as something she will protect. Herding is a game to her.
Moving a group to where she wants them... she would do the same with the goats if she could get to them. The LGD's do not like her, they do not like her running the fence tormenting their goats. LOL Now once the LGD's come out of their field they are fine with her (except one) but if she were to get in the field it would not go well.

Of course there are exceptions, my old bitch GSD protected ANYTHING that was mine. A chicken a goat anything but she had no attachment to them per se.

june2013

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
By the way, what is your website? I know that you had a website for dogs, goats and chickens that you had bred? Would love to know more about it. I can't seem to find it tho. :/

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the way, what is your website? I know that you had a website for dogs, goats and chickens that you had bred? Would love to know more about it. I can't seem to find it tho. :/
Not sure if you were asking me or another poster... but if it was me...
It is in my signature.