LGD's go nuts… almost lost a goat!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had quite a scare today!

Earlier today I heard the dogs barking, they were really going at it and Chunck was pacing the back fence line barking. Briefly looked around and didn't see anything, figured maybe they were barking at SBC's other neighbor &/or their Dobbie.

Then I heard it… the most ear piercing, horrific scream… I immediately knew it was Moses, one of the Kiko herd sires. I've never heard a goat scream the way he did, it was terrifying in a way.

I of course am tearing down one field, run to his field, fly over the 4 ft gate (all while thinking I'm not going to get to him in time) and get to Moses.

Tiggs (lives with these guys) is totally frantic, poor dog looked so upset! Its very hard on them when something like this happens. He calmed right down as soon as the bucks got untangled.

Moses had locked horns with his Kiko buddy, it wasn't a typical horn lock that happens time-to-time, his head and neck were severely twisted, if I had tried to move him, his neck would have snapped.
His one horn is already separating from the scull, and is cracking and bleeding. :ep

I finally am able to get them apart. Beast seems fine, but Moses goes to walk away and his head is flopping around and is in shock.
I'm able to handle these situations pretty well, but this was intense :th

Grab some feed and poor it down for the other 2 goats and try to approach Moses again and lure him in so I can get a better look. He was dazed, but now able to control his head. Offered him a few handfuls of feed while I was able to check him over.

Good news is that he should recover and be fine. Maybe a small amount of damage to the neck but now (hours later) he seems to be moving it okay. Horn is still cracked/ & a little separation of the horn, but if he doesn't do anything stupid he should heal up ok :fl

So thankful the dogs were able to alert me :love Had they not been going bark-crazy I might never had known and come out to a dead goat :hit(or 2)
These dogs prove themselves everyday, NOTHING like a good LGD! :love

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's called adrenaline. Those goats are bigger than GW but fortunately they aren't wild goats as well as being big.

Why do you still have the kikos? Do you have a kiko doe back there as well?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, you are crazy. I thought that the Kikos were Straw's passion and you were just babysitting.