LHF kidding 2012 PHOTOS AFTER THE STORM

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, such nice big boys! I thought for sure she had triplets at least, but those look like pretty big boys, really muscular. Happy things all went well!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A little newer and better photos. They still have that scrunched up newborn look. They were 12 lbs and 10 lbs, the one with the spots is a little smaller. They are both 1x1 teated, but the one with the spots has a very tiny non-functional teat on one side, but not near the main teat. I wish they had more skin pigmentation, but they both have some dark spots under their tail, and in my experience that will fill in as they get older. I am surprised how dark headed they are considering these are Goldman's kids.

3140_daisy_5_hours_old1.jpg

3140_daisy_5_hours_old2.jpg

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
10 and 12 pounds! OMGOSH! They are gorgeous too, love their dark coloring.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, we had kind of a long week, I came down with the stomach flu Thursday into Friday and Friday night we were hit hard with that storm that came through VA and neighboring states. We just got our power back on last night. The animals and most of the property survived. WE are still working on fence repair, or I should say, getting the trees off the fence.

We had a problem with 2 dogs from new neighbors that moved near us a couple months ago, they are trying to keep two big dogs into a small yard with electric collars and with no electricity the dogs started coming up to our place every night and found our rabbit hutch and by the 3rd night were in with our goats running them around and ran them through the fencing before we caught them. We are still deciding exactly what our next move is going to be. I couldn't catch the neighbors at home so I left a letter and last night the dogs stayed home. My concern is the next time they get out, may be a week or 3 months from now, but now they know we have rabbits and goats and I think it is going to be a tragedy waiting to happen. The one dog is a pitbull, lab, saint bernard mix, a year old, and huge, he is the main problem the other is a german shepard and very old, he was in the yard playing with our dogs. It was the pit/lab/saint mix that was running our goats and at only a year old and NOT fixed, he is going to be a problem.

Well, ofcourse I have to post photos of the storm.

Some of our front yard, after we cut up the big stuff
3140_summer_2012_storm6.jpg

Rabbit hutch area
3140_hhh2.jpg

The yearling pen had a lot of damage, but the girls weathered it out under the crushed huts.
3140_summer_2012_storm1.jpg

3140_summer_2012_storm2.jpg

3140_summer_2012_storm3.jpg

Another part of the yearling pen, we still need to get the trees off the fenceline in this section.
3140_summer_2012_storm5.jpg

3140_summer_2012_storm4.jpg

in another field there are several trees down as well, this was a real lose, a Walnut tree uprooted from being too close to a small raven.
3140_summer_2012_storm7.jpg

The goats taking advantage of the fallen trees
3140_storm4.jpg

Hundreds of peices of small branches all over the pasture.
3140_hhh1.jpg

I am positive this would be considered "Goat Heaven."
3140_storm3.jpg

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep. That's what I was doing. Let the goats clean up after the storm.
:D Glad everyone was OK.

snapnzap

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Glad everyone is OK. The only damage we had was a couple of shingles off the roof but since we lost power we had to bail water out of the stream for all the critters. A generator has been added to the top of our list!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
snapnzap said:
Glad everyone is OK. The only damage we had was a couple of shingles off the roof but since we lost power we had to bail water out of the stream for all the critters. A generator has been added to the top of our list!
We have a generator, and we are discussing getting a bigger one. But it was able to keep 2 fridgereators and a full size freezer cold, the well pump running, and a couple fans. If we wanted to use the microwave we would unplug a couple things, oh and a couple light bulbs.

A cold shower wasn't really a problem after working in the yard picking up in 100 degree weather.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We were hit with that storm also. We did not lose power, thank goodness, but 3 huge trees came down----2 of them in our pen. Luckily no person or animal was hurt----although Adia's twins stood out in it getting soaked despite her efforts to get them to follow her into an empty covered dog kennel.