Liability Concerns, LGD Signs?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I have been slack in our signs around our property and pastures. We have quite a few no trespassing signs around from the previous owners. However, my father has repeatedly told me I need more (and more visible) NO Trespassing signs and Danger, Guard Dog signs...

My concern, I only own LGD's. Yes, one hangs out in the front and his job is to scare people off. The others are with the livestock. I know I need better NO trespassing signs though. I went to a website where I could design my own sign. What do you guys think?

20170205_184309.jpg

My dad was concerned because it wasn't a strong enough warning. So I changed the word "Working" to "BEWARE!" I am wondering if "Caution" or "Warning" might be better?
20170205_200039.jpg

He also suggested I change the "Livestock Guardian Dogs" to "Livestock / Guard Dogs". I am concerned about liability.

What do you guys have on YOUR farms????

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet you have signs right? I think there was a discussion aboit liability of overly strong warnings...ie it looks like you are saying your dog is dangerous, therefore if anything happens it's your fault...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That was something I was concerned about as well.... They should only be dangerous if someone is messing with livestock but that is their job... Or with us...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have seen those. I wasn't certain they would be enough. And our fence can be bypassed easily by people most places but I would only be able to put those on the gates. But they are also in TN so they wouldn't have to ship. :idunno

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
HAHA! That is awesome!! Reminds me of a story from a farm we visited when we were looking at different LGD breeds. He said his neighbor always came over and hunted his 100+ acres. After getting Boz and Boz/Kangal mixes he got a nasty call saying the dogs chased him (neighbor) and he barely escaped over the fence! The owner said good. You weren't supposed to be here anyway. :lol::lol: The neighbor had been told multiple times not to hunt on the owners land!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have always heard that you don't want to advertise that you have a guard dog due to liability, but I have no idea if that is really true.