Liability Concerns, LGD Signs?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That was what I originally chose. But then I was told I should change it or add "Beware of dog" signs. The reason being that not everyone is aware of what an LGD is. Ugh. It all comes down to liability.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like those signs. You may want to consider calling your local county code/sheriff/and/or animal control offices and ask them.

A while back the county sheriff gave us super important information about the liability and legal aspects of apprehending, restraining and arresting trespassers on our property. I highly recommend you ask your local authorities what they recommend and also document who you spoke to as well as their response. I had informed them I wanted to do everything 100% legal and in full cooperation with them and they were more than happy to help and work with us.

Last year I was attacked by a pitbull in our back forest. He would run at me if I attempted to back up, and if I ran at him, he would only slowly back up. I finally was able to get back to a building [walking super slowly backwards] and grabbed a shotgun and ran back into the forest, fully intending to send the darn dog to the next world. I chose not to shoot the pitbull after seeing some kids smoking weed in a nearby truck, across from our property line. I asked them if the pitbull was theirs and one said yes. They climbed the fence and grabbed the pitbull. I am glad I did not shoot the pitbull. It was like the kid's favorite pet. But I was surprised by the advice both the county sheriff and the county animal control officers gave me: Both stated, "You should have shot it!"

Every county can have incredible variations of rules, regulations, laws, and even recommended actions to take. I suggest you contact your local authorities and inform them you would like to work with them on this project.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet you have signs right? I think there was a discussion aboit liability of overly strong warnings...ie it looks like you are saying your dog is dangerous, therefore if anything happens it's your fault...
Yes, unfortunately we live in a litiguous society. People are just looking for a reason to sue, so they can make lots of money. :barnie

On an LGD site, that I follow, there was once a discussion about how someone had "Beware of Dog" signs, and got sued when their dog bit a neighbor's dog, which went onto their property, to harrass their livestock. The arguement (in the lawsuit) was that the LGD Owner knew they had a dangerous dog, (as evidenced by the Beware of Dog sign), so they were liable for damages caused to an animal (or person, for that matter), that trespassed on their property. Huh??? If you don't want your dog to get bit, going on someone elses property . . . keep it at home.

In the end, the LGD owner lost the law suit and had to pay the trespassing dog's owner. :barnie

I used to have Beware of Dog signs. But when I read about that story, I took them down and bought the following signs:
www.signswithanattitude.com

0130161354a-1.jpg

0130161357-1.jpg

We punched holes in the corners & attached them with electrical ties.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will never ever understand how a person can be sued for ANYTHING that happens to a trespasser on their own land. What part of trespassing do people not understand? I don't care how vicious my dog is if you came here unannounced and unwelcomed or uninvited with the intent to do evil you deserve whatever my dog gives you. I don't have any dogs like that, but that is still the way I feel. Same goes for animals that harass me or my animals. Crazy place we live in.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @Devonviolet! That is what I was worried about. You wouldn't happen to know where that happened would you? What state?

I am going to call my county animal control today as well and see what they think. I really appreciate all your opinions. I will also check out that website!

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/content/printable_version/LPD-Poster.pdf

The American Sheep Industry strongly advocates signage. They provide a downloadable poster with commercial sheep operations in mind but it gives you an idea of what they promote.
When I wrote the Loss Prevention Manual for the Working Dog Liability Insurance Program for them, signage was an included chapter in the book.

I say the less 'cute' and more serious the better. Sadly people still ignore them. Mine say WORKING LIVESTOCK GUARDIAN DOGS DO NOT DISTURB.

So this morning I see an idiot get out of his truck at the stop sign on the corner, walk up to my fence to try to pet my pack - they didn't offer to bite but they weren't exactly greeting him with a bouquet of roses either….. I had to yell out the window at him. People are idiots these days.

Depending on where you live you may want your sign also printed in Spanish.

The folks you need to talk to about signage are not so much law enforcement as your insurance carrier. Mine previously told me "Beware of Dog" infers a vicious dog and thus that company frowned on that signage.

I think the words WARNING and KEEP OUT and / or DO NOT DISTURB are advisable. But again ask your insurance agent.
Amazon.com has many signs. I have problems with bad neighbors loitering on purpose in front of my place and plan to buy NO LOITERING ON OR IN FRONT OF THIS PROPERTY to add to my signage, eventually.
I own firearms and although some of the "Shoot first ask you questions later" kind of signs are funny, I would rather people didn't know about my guns. Probably several ways to look at that.
DO NOT TEASE DOGS is another one I thought about and STAY BACK FROM FENCE. I like the latter's air of mystery more - the first one I'm afraid it'll be an open invitation for a-hole kids to
tease my dogs on purpose!
It is indeed sad that it's come to this these days, the lack of respect for agriculture and what we have to do to keep peace of mind.
I mean, some days, I'd like to have a Gatling gun parked in my entry area!