Lice on goats

Christina's Dream

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm new to goats and have a baby pygmy. She has lice.... What can I put on her to clear this up?? I've done some online reading and know that people can't get goat lice...but don't I don't want her to have it. I'm in Ontario Canada...so what do you suggest I use???

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ivomec 1% injected SQ at the labeled dosage for external parasites (ie: lice, mites).

I know how you feel...I just found lice yesterday on my boys :sick

Makes me itch just thinking about it.

You also will need to do a second treatment in 10-14 days to kill any newly hatched eggs. Maybe even a third treatment depending on how bad they have the creepy crawlies.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
elevan said:
Ivomec 1% injected SQ at the labeled dosage for external parasites (ie: lice, mites).

You also will need to do a second treatment in 10-14 days to kill any newly hatched eggs. Maybe even a third treatment depending on how bad they have the creepy crawlies.
:thumbsup (oral doses work fine, too)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
helmstead said:
elevan said:

:thumbsup (oral doses work fine, too)
From my farm's experience when we don't have an internal parasite problem we find the injected route to be more effective and quicker. But, yes the oral route will work too...but usually we have to do the third dose that way...every time we go injected we only have to do it twice.

I HATE lice, so the most effective route is the route I'll choose every time.

And you do need to treat the bedding with dust / spray or remove it and burn it.

Also be careful because you can transfer lice from one goat pen to another...because they can hitch a ride on YOU for up to 24 hours. They usually won't bite humans and can't live on us but they can survive off their host (goat) for 24 hours.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The idea that injecting or giving oral doses of ivermec affects internal and external parasites differently is bunk. The drug MUST get into the bloodstream to do anything - and it gets into the bloodstream via both methods.

Of course, a more direct entry into the bloodstream is a given when injecting any drug, but still, ivermec given orally will have the goat lice-free within 12 to 24 hours.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Christina's Dream said:
I'm new to goats and have a baby pygmy. She has lice.... What can I put on her to clear this up?? I've done some online reading and know that people can't get goat lice...but don't I don't want her to have it. I'm in Ontario Canada...so what do you suggest I use???
Where it is a baby pygmy, I too reccommend Y-Tex Python Dust . Can be applied safely to any age of animal, where many other livestock insecticides cannot.

Latest posts