Lickaroo and Lucy kidding thread 2017

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our nubians Lickaroo and Lucy are due January 25th! We are so excited especially since this is their second time and we are all a little more informed. Lucy is having mucus and is swelling and a large bag but still has ligaments. Lickaroo is extremely close, her bag is full and her ligaments are gone ( I have been checking them every day for two weeks so I am sure!) she is acting very friendly and that is weird, she is usually pretty sassy and standoffish. She is also standing weird with her tail up all the time. She has been doing a bit of soft talking as well.
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG
I am thinking she is going to kid pretty soon, any guesses on when?
Here are some pictures (Lickaroo has no horns, Lucy has horns)
Oh and my awesome husband and I made a sweet goat warming hutch, we cut holes in both sides and put a divider in the middle so the babies couldn't cross between kidding stalls. It gets between 60 and 65 degrees in there which is nice because we have had an average temp of about 20 for the last few weeks. We are so excited! Hopefully everything goes well!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My only guess is that they will kid at the most inopportune time possible, goats are like that. :)

I love the warming hut, that is a great use for one of those containers, very nice job.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If I may make an observation regarding your warming barrel/container... I can see the wood partition you placed inside but it appears to only go about as high as the opening, or roughly to the 2nd aluminum surround/support frame (any higher and how would you get it in?). Those kids are going to be spring loaded and bouncy... They'll most likely go right over that inside partition... Great warming barrel though! Hope they deliver soon for you with no issues! :fl:pop

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I may make an observation regarding your warming barrel/container... I can see the wood partition you placed inside but it appears to only go about as high as the opening, or roughly to the 2nd aluminum surround/support frame (any higher and how would you get it in?). Those kids are going to be spring loaded and bouncy... They'll most likely go right over that inside partition... Great warming barrel though! Hope they deliver soon for you with no issues! :fl:pop
We knew that they would eventually be able to jump over but for the first day or so we should be good while they are wobbly and get used to their mom. The problem was that if we raised the wall too high it would hit the heat lamp. Thanks for the advise!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you use wire inside as a divider? I am thinking the heavy duty stock panels with the 4x4 squares. With 2-4 (or more) goats kids in there they will put out some heat of there own so you might need a lower watt light, or put it on a timer where it comes on and off every few hours.

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The wood divider actually goes up higher than you think, it is about 8 inches higher than the door and only 8 inches from the light and roof of the hutch. And we have a 100 watt bulb in case we need to lower the temp. It is pretty cold here so I am not too worried.
Anyway Lickaroo is getting closer ( I think lol) she is nesting and is more swollen with even more bag, still haven't been able to find ligaments since 8 pm last night. Hopefully she goes soon, although we are having an awful winter storm so that makes me very nervous.

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I don't know what's going on because no matter how much I dig I can't find Lickaroo's ligaments. However we are coming up on 36 hours since she "lost" them so I must be wrong. Lucy is bagging up more all of a sudden and both of their girl parts are extremely swollen. Today is day 149 so probably tomorrow, I just don't know.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the kids :pop

We have a Nubian that was born Jan. 25, 2010… I tomorrow will be the big day :fl:lol:

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Update, Lucy has dropped! I know because my sister in law had a snow day so I told her she had to check on them all day so I could sleep. Ha ha Anyway long story short I hadn't checked them since 8 this morning. By the way, leaving them alone for awhile definitely helped my stress. So I could really tell that Lucy had dropped because she was round as a barrel this morning. Her bag is also bigger by about a third. Her ligaments are nearly gone, I can't feel any pencils but there is still a little resistance there, almost like a warm laffy taffy. After further investigation I think that Lickaroo is just about the same in the ligament department as Lucy, although hers are definitely harder to find. Time will tell!