Licking walls?

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I would take away the white salt block and just give them loose minerals (which I prefer over a block ,because it's a little easier for them to eat).
we actually keep a white salt block, a sweetlicks (protien and minerals) and loose minerals out - they seem to pick and choose, different things at different times, but do work on all three.

ShadyAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I keep out loose salt as well as loose mineral (pre-mix, formulated for sheep). I made a box open sided - out of plywood with a slanted roof, the base big enough to hold a rubber pan. I can move these from pasture to pasture and keep it semi dry. I only put a little in at a time so if it rains in it (heavy or windy rains) can dump and refill. Summer months they go through the salt faster. Preg or lactating they use more mineral. Just keep everything topped off and let them determine their needs. About a month before lambing and during lactating I add a protein tub.

Read that loose salt was better than block so always done it that way: http://aces.nmsu.edu/sheep/sheep_nutrition/essential_nutrition.html