Life expectancy

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is the life expectancy of Anatolian shepherds?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lost one at 13 and one at 12. We put both of them down because of arthritis. Otherwise they were quite healthy. You might consider your guardian dog's exposure to predators and snakebite. Also their desire to get out and roam can put them in traffic or get them in trouble w unsympathetic neighbors.

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For big dogs, that's a pretty long life span. I'm glad, I want the big fella around for a long time. I asked because my old border collie is really starting to show his age.
Arthritis is getting bad, solid gray face. He's such a sweetheart and a great mentor when Toli was a puppy.

Traffic and Neighbors aren't much of a problem. I don't think he's ever gotten off our 80 acres. Snakes are a problem, bitten at least 3 times that we know off.
We have small coyotes. I don't think even a pack would try to tangle with that 141lb dog. Since Toli grew up, we never see their tracks on our property anymore, thou
we do hear them howling nearby at night.

Thanks for the info,
Robbin

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have pyratolian youngsters and I love em dearly but I miss Kennedy and Rose. Enjoy your dog(s). I couldn't keep small stock without them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Arthritis is getting bad
Glucosamine supplements for dogs suffering from arthritis can make a big difference in the dog. It shouldn't be given to normal, healthy young dogs or giant breeds when they are pups but for older, arthritic..yep!

Latest posts