Lifespan of Economy vs Standard Gate

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am planning the fencing for the package dropoff circle area and drive into our property. I am planning a paired set of 8ft gates. One will be motorized for daily use while other has pin to ground holding it still till large equipment needs in.

Is there a huge lifespan difference between the economy gates made of 1 3/4" 20 gauge tube and standard 2" 16 gauge tube if they aren't getting beat up by livestock? For reference:
Tarter-utility-tube-gate-50-in-h-x-8-ft $95
Countyline-8-ft-utility-gate-green $220
Can I save some money on the gates or will I be chewing myself out in a couple years?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on how often they get hit.... with a vehicle.

I have never had a motorized gate... my baby sis has one, and no idea about more that that.

With regular gates... if you don't bump into them with your car... flimsy is fine, as long as the hinges and support post are sturdy.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just gotta reply

Life span of economy gate about the time it gets hung just take it to the scrap yard and they might not even want it. If your gonna have a gate then get the best you can afford. It only takes one time of I'm gonna shut the gate to stop xyz and if u got the economy gate don't waste the energy of shutting it whatever your trying to stop is gonna not know it's there or if it's open or closed.

A stiff breeze will kill the economy gate.

Just like every economy they're all broke.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
2-5 on the economy if you don't hit it with a vehicle first... 20 on the heavy duty. Plus the first time you slam it to stop an animal the economy will buckle....
We are now replacing some heavy duty gates at the farm that the previous owner put in back in the 90's... all the gates we are buying are the heaviest duty ones we can find. They are actually called bull gates.
Suggestion... find a couple of independent fencing dealers in the area and see if they have gates to sell. Most do.... and they will sell you a sturdier gate than you will ever get at TSC.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought some used t-posts and wood posts and a used 16’ wire filled gate. The underside of the tubing on the gate is rusted through. I can still use it for awhile and I will. But it sure made me take another look at the TSC gates. No idea of how old it was or how long it was in use. I’ll sure be keeping that in mind when I find a place I want to buy.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this a walk through gate? If this will be to drive a car/truck through 8' is too small. And why two 8" gates instead of one 16' gate? Go with the heavier duty gates and make ure the posts are also heavy duty and braced well.

We have uneven ground under out gate leading to the field and my sons (who built it) put a rolling wheel on it to help support the weight. It needs replacement now since it is a wooden gate and Josie the Mule has shown her disapproval of waiting to be fed by eating almost through the cross pieces in several places over the years. Next gate will be a metal gate but also with a wheel on the bottom. We also have an automatic gate into the driveway made of wrought iron.