Limp Buckling

Reese Alez

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,
I just moved to a community farm in January (yay) and I just experienced my first goat birth.
It was hectic and very dramatic unfortunately, she had triplets and the first born and last born are experiencing difficulty.
I am asking about the third born. He is 1 day old and was born with a front left leg deformity. The entire leg is bent back (at the shoulder) along side his body (Think of if one simply has their arm along side their body)...... when I try to stretch it forward in front of him it is pretty stiff and not as flexible as the other leg. If I just let it go, it goes back to position along side the body.
He is seemingly not using his other legs at all, he can move a bit- but when I try to stand him on the three he just plops down. I am getting selenium gel for him tonight hoping that will boost him up (at least his other three legs) and we were told by a vet (phone call) to put a splint on the deformed leg.
Other than not moving he seems okay, he sucks on the bottle like a champion and we finally got him to start pooping.
Any other advise or experience with single leg deformed legs? I could really use some advise! They had plans to put him to sleep because of his deformity and I said no- so now I am assuming responsibility of him. My community is helping but I take it they have always put their deformed baby goats to sleep so no one has any experience in regards to his disability.
please help! thank you,
Reese