Limping doeling -

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Heard from the vet this morning they discussed Bertie at their large animal meeting and were supposed to do joint examination with all the large animal vets.

Haven’t heard anything further since then. They’re closed now so i assume Bertie is staying the night again tonight.

I spoke to my friend who is an ortho doctor (for humans) and with my goat farmer (meat farmer) friend and with another large animal vet in detail, and they all said it seems like my vets are doing what they should and can and that it’s hard to say if it was overly tight wrap or combination of issues.

But we’ll see. Trying to stay in a positive headspace and be ok with any outcome that allows Bertie a chance to grow and live and enjoy herself.

I feel bad for Mama Lumos, she’s been yelling all day (and night) and leaking milk everywhere and getting my wether Dobby all riled up.

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
they called yesterday evening and told me Bertie doesn’t have sensation below the break (blood supply issues). They don’t think it’ll return and her leg and foot below the break are cool to the touch :/

So they’re recommending amputation.

I am cycling between extreme pessimism and forced optimism.

I know they can do well on three legs, I just assume any complication that can arise, will.

Anyone had amputations done on any of their four legged friends?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about Bertie, that news stinks....I haven't had amputation on any goat but wished I had after one had a broken leg we wrapped and broke it more during the night...we had to put her down the next day...Bertie is special and with your care and love should do great on three legs. I realise this may not be the life you wanted for Bertie, but Bertie is so darn cute, even with three legs Bertie is a star :love :hugs ...and I am a Bertie fan !

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry about Bertie, that news stinks....I haven't had amputation on any goat but wished I had after one had a broken leg we wrapped and broke it more during the night...we had to put her down the next day...Bertie is special and with your care and love should do great on three legs. I realise this may not be the life you wanted for Bertie, but Bertie is so darn cute, even with three legs Bertie is a star :love :hugs ...and I am a Bertie fan !

Thank you so much!

Will keep you guys posted- whether you want updates or not ;)

Definitely a lot to be learned from these resilient animals.

Just want her back home and healthy.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
My opinion is that she will adapt marvelously to 3 legs.
I remember an article a long, long, time ago in a stock magazine (I think) about an Australian Cattle Dog that accidentally got in the way of the hay mower and ended up losing two legs on the same side of his body. He recovered very well and still worked cattle and jumped up in the pickup!
A dog not a goat of course, but goats are so athletic to begin with, and just contrary enough to beat the odds.
I think you are allowed a heaping cupful of optimism for Bertie. :hugs

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep:hide my biggest thought is how much is this all gonna cost.... that's alot of care she receiving which is great but you can only do what you can also afford to do. At this rate i would be freaking out personally. I would be discussing the cost and all the details to get as much information i could. And what discount they will to give for adding to the issues with demanding you wait and wrapping to tight. Granted it could have been the break that might have cause the blood flow issues but i would thought they would have noticed that to began with. I think your doing a great thing for her. I would just say make sure you aren't going to spend past what you can.

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:ep:hide my biggest thought is how much is this all gonna cost.... that's alot of care she receiving which is great but you can only do what you can also afford to do. At this rate i would be freaking out personally. I would be discussing the cost and all the details to get as much information i could. And what discount they will to give for adding to the issues with demanding you wait and wrapping to tight. Granted it could have been the break that might have cause the blood flow issues but i would thought they would have noticed that to began with. I think your doing a great thing for her. I would just say make sure you aren't going to spend past what you can.

Sigh, yea. I’m definitely not made of money. I’m a single mom with two kids (though their dad has them half of the time). And I was unemployed for 3 solid months up until last week.

However, I’m financially sound and responsible and have funds available. And I truly believe that it’s my responsibility once I’ve taken an animal in my care to do what is in my power to care for them. And even if I was broke, I’d ask them for a payment plan. I couldn’t justify putting her down because it would create a financial burden on me. I’ve taken on so many financial burdens over the years for people (family and friends) who have never given me the comfort or joy that these goats have given me.

I do plan on speaking with the practice manager and discussing all the complications and issues that resulted in many more office visits and treatment.

I appreciate the advice. I do want to find out how a blood supply issue could begin suddenly 2 weeks after a break that has been set. And right after a resplint that then took just 24 hours to deteriorate so badly. Sigh. Like, how do you examine and resplint and treat a leg 24 hours before it starts blackening and is cold but you didn’t notice a single symptom of Blood supply issues at the appointment the day before. No way. It had to be a combo of wet leg that had small cut (opening for bacteria which prob caused her recent infection which caused swelling at the break and couple that with a tight wrap which cut supply off to her lower leg and hoof.

Amputations are excessively expensive. 1000-1500 probably. (They said they did one recently that was a larger goat but it was about 1300).

I just want to feel like it’s fair. Even if it’s expensive, I feel like if they’re fair about my prior visits and credits for wasting my time and mental health, I’ll be ok.

The nurse did tell me today there wasn’t an invoice (for Sunday-today’s exams and treatments) 🙄😒

And the owner of the place is the one doing the surgery so I don’t want to bring this up just yet- because i am doing the surgery regardless.

💛

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
43424331-4AC5-4E4F-871C-82EFF1476869.jpeg

I went and saw Bertie earlier. They’ve nicknamed her trouble and had to bring her inside to the kennel area with the dogs “because she was being so loud.”

my thousand dollar goat 🙂

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Went and saw Bertie with the kiddos yesterday since they’ll be with their dad tomorrow when she has surgery.

She’s in great spirits and seems like she’s gotten spoiled during her time at the vets office :)

AB8BD408-327F-41B8-89DC-0F4DC6D5F5E2.jpeg
E17428E9-6BBC-4C08-9ED6-4DB4C71C1413.jpeg

We took some raisins and stayed til they closed (kids request). Then watched all the videos of three legged animals that we could find when we got home.

Nervous about tomorrow. But ready for her to be unburdened.

Spoken to a human ortho doctor, my goat farmer friend and two other large animal vets (one of which runs the large animal office at NC state veterinary school) and all seem onboard with what my vet is sayin in terms of next steps (Even though they also didn’t understand how it could deteriorate so quickly from Saturday to Sunday to the point of needing amputation).

Say a little prayer (or burn a little sage or whatever) tomorrow morning for our little Bertie!

<3

Will keep you guys posted!

isra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Surgery went well- vet (owner) called earlier this afternoon and said that he was glad we went forward with amputation after he saw what was going on from the inside. She had dark blood in the area of her break where it wasn’t oxygenated enough.

I asked for a photo since I won’t be able to see her today.

Poor little baby. Can’t wait til she’s back with her mama.

B51CB9BA-A7F6-44B2-93A7-EE53E555E7F2.jpeg

My daughter and I deep cleaned their barn yesterday afternoon so it’s nice and fresh for her return.

May leave her at the vet for another night or two just to make sure her wound is healing and everything is as it should be.

Latest posts