Limping duck

dcullon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a khaki Campbell female that's limping on on leg. It's been a week now,not worse or better. I looked at her leg and foot. There's no swelling on her leg at all.only thing I can find is on the heal of her foot its a little bigger bump then the other side. It seems hard. It doesn't seem injured .just that swollen bump .i gave her 1/4 cc of penicillin today. Any ideas?

Caribbean Farmer

Just born
Reaction score
We had Pekin ducks that always seemed prone to leg injuries. Sorry I'm not much help, if you can find a vet that deals with birds it might be worth having him/her take a look so you'll know what to look for and when to get help with it.

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The lump could be early bumblefoot, in which case Epsom salt compresses followed by application of triple antibiotic ointment three times a day until it clears should work.

Es is a laxative so don't let her ingest any.

Another option is to follow the first compress with a couple of drops of clear iodine. Then let it be for three to five days.

There should be something like a dark scab formed. Soak the foot by letting her swim in lukewarm clean water for half an hour, then see if the scab comes off with a gentle pull.

If not, dab another drop of clear iodine and wait again.

If this is not an early bumble, but a pull or sprain, use Epsom salt compresses three times a day on the whole leg and foot. I follow the evening compress with a tiny dab of Traumeel rubbed on the leg and foot.