Linda Parelli video, working with one-eyed horse...

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80925308

I personally own a horse that is blind in one eye. I know that she can crowd me on her blind side at times, that's not her fault. Groundwork can be difficult at times and challenging and I have to find ways to work around her blindness issue. Mainly by using my voice A LOT when she's not able to see me. Also, not using any aggressive or violent sudden movements so that she will earn my trust and know that she's not going to get smacked or something and not see it coming!

Very gentle and patient training is required when dealing with a blind horse. They are very reluctant to trust if they can't see or hear what is being asked of them.

I don't agree with how Linda is handling this horse and I don't think she accomplished anything with him. I'm very disappointed in her.

fadetopurple

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What the heck? That poor horse. Whether it had full vision or not, that was confusing and frustrating to watch. Can't imagine how much worse it was for the horse.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
fadetopurple said:
What the heck? That poor horse. Whether it had full vision or not, that was confusing and frustrating to watch. Can't imagine how much worse it was for the horse.

I also own a horse who's blind in one eye. It really doesn't cause any issues at all, as long as I'm not being an idiot. I've realized that she's spectacularly well-adjusted, though. Watching her run around, you would never guess she can't see out of that eye. It's only been an issue during handling a couple of times.
I also have a very well adjusted horse and her blindness is never really much of an issue. Groundwork can cause some problems, but usually the only time its a problem is when my mare becomes nervous or anxious and not being able to see, increases that anxiety.

I agree, the whole thing was very frustrating to watch.

sterlng&sierra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Regardless as to whether the horse was partially blind, completely blind, or could see normally, never should you start whaling on the horse with the loops of the lead rope, or loose your temper with one like that. She sent mixed signals throughout her little escapade, making the poor animal more confused and frightened. And the end result was: nothing but a horse who now mistrusts people, and has a bruised nose to go along with it.

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I watched that video and I don't even know what she was trying to accomplish with that horse. I can't imagine how the horse felt if even I couldn't figure it out!

The whole video made me cringe. All I saw was her jerking that poor horse's head around. She definitely needs to start using her body language more than that lead rope! There were just way too many mixed signals. In one breath she'd say good boy and then she'd whack the poor thing the next moment. I couldn't believe how much she was smacking him in the head too! That's a good way to get a head shy horse reallll fast!

WallTenters

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posts. Terrible demonstration on how to do.. anything... with a horse. What the heck was she asking? If she wanted him to back off her, why was she continually backing up, and then sending him in little half circles and yanking him towards her?

I really hopes this wakes people up a bit to the Parelli madness. It's great when you have a horse you're bonding with, no so good for any actual training.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
WallTenters said:
I agree with the previous posts. Terrible demonstration on how to do.. anything... with a horse. What the heck was she asking? If she wanted him to back off her, why was she continually backing up, and then sending him in little half circles and yanking him towards her?

I really hopes this wakes people up a bit to the Parelli madness. It's great when you have a horse you're bonding with, no so good for any actual training.
:thumbsup

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very confusing. When anybody--people or animals--lose one of their senses, in this case partial sight, the person or animal compensates with the other 4 senses. I would expect this mare to pay special attention to sounds on her blind side, in order to protect herself. I would think that she would be very sensitive to touch on her blind side, too.

First, I think it's kinda pointless to be riding a horse that is partially blind--too many opportunities to get hurt.

Second, there are a couple of jobs she could do well, like a companion to weanlings.

Third, if you HAVE to use this mare for something, why not train her to take voice commands, starting with gentle but firm touch, then translate to just your voice. You could start with the side she can still see, then, when she's mastered that, train the blind side.

A snaky lead rope gets your horse to pay attention by sight, in which this mare's is comprimised--kind of pointless?

I was surprised. Every video of Parelli's that I've watched had useful training in them. :/

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The lead rope thing is to get your horse to pay attention by sight, which makes a lot of groundwork techniques really difficult for a partially blind horse. I have yet to find anyone who's been able to adapt these techniques for a blind horse.

I have know of numerous partially blind horses that are very suitable for riding. I've even known and ridden a totally blind horse that completely trusted its riders. My mare is perfectly fine for riding, and I've never had any issues with her under saddle, she can do anything any sighted horse can do. There are lots of people who don't give up on their horses just because they've lost sight in one eye. The farm my mare came from had three partially blind horses on the property, two of which were show horses and they never had any problems with them.

I have not found that working my mare from her sighted side first until she's mastered something, and then switching to her blind side to be effective at all. It only makes her more one-sided and more hesitant to turn a blind eye toward her trainer. Switching back and forth from her good side to her bad side is the best way I've found to gain her trust and get her to connect the voice commands. Just like you would work any other really one-sided horse, both sides have to be worked equally. If I were to longe her only with her good eye toward me, she would love that, but after a lot of work in that direction, and she gets really resistant to go the other way. When I get her to switch back and forth from one direction to the other rather quickly, its almost like she forgets she is blind!

My horse is very sensitive to touch on her blind side too. She gets scared to turn a blind eye toward you if there is any fear she could get smacked! That's why I don't understand Linda's method when dealing with this horse.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
dianneS wrote:
Switching back and forth from her good side to her bad side is the best way I've found to gain her trust and get her to connect the voice commands. Just like you would work any other really one-sided horse, both sides have to be worked equally.
Guess I wasn't clear-I do agree with you. MY POINT was that, as you said about your horse, there is a heightened sensibility to touch on a blind or partially blind horse. I have, in my experience noticed that all of the horses I have owned and trained over the years are soothed by the voice and can learn to take verbal commands, which they do not forget.

I DID have a gelding go blind on me. I didn't see it, but my Vet noticed a degenerative condition. He started to spook at the shadows he was seeing, and I was kicked in the head.

Regardless, it's good to have this discussion. :D