Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can do some inbreeding without any defective kids. If you are breeding just to have kids or freshen does it’s not a big deal.

If you are a breeder who is working on a breeding program to help further your animals (conformation, milk production etc) you need to look harder and really evaluate your animals. I’ve seen a big trend with linebreeding, folks thinking they will get an amazing animal, yet cannot find a fault on any of their animals. :rolleyes:
If you cannot evaluate the stock you have now, linebreeding probably isn’t for you.

Meat animals are different than dairy animals.

Don’t know much about the mini silky’s but they seemed rather common years ago. Don’t see or hear as much about them now.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We mostly need the milk, my son is allergic to cow milk the protein make up makes him sick. He does great with goat. So all the milk we can get would be great between milk, dairy products we could use it and the meat would be great as well. My girls have great confirmation but are not show quality their ears don't lay flat(Nubians) I got them cheaper because of the ears the breeder only kept show quality and would sale the shows for 500+ these two where 200 a piece. Which for just needing milk I was sgreat with. Goats milk is expensive 16 a gallon we go through alot with a 4 year old and 2 year old. That is great to know I can keep the daughters it makes it easier on us then have to constantly finding stock.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The granddaughter he bred
He's the dam's sire then you bred her back to her sire and then you are breeding to the grandaughter?
If so that's asking for trouble
I think most would say its ok the breed a sire back to his daughter but not then breed those daughters back to their father/grandfather
I don't think so. It will only become a problem if the offspring get two of the same gene that will cause a problem and that can happen even if they are not related. My first dam was my current buck's aunt. With this buck I have only lost one kid but that was because she got fluid in her lungs before the sack broke. I have a book on goat health care that tells about inbreeding. It tells of a breed of cattle called Chillingham cattle in England that is isolated to a 300 acre park where there is a King bull that sires all calves throughout his reign until he is over thrown. The cattle have thrived for 700 years. The only ones that pass on their traits are the strongest and only the best traits are passed on.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never even heard of them
Why are they so expensive ?
They are breed for their looks. Long silky hair. Think of the canine silky terrier. They range anywhere from $600 to $1500 each. This is a picture of the top goat of 2012 from https://msfgaregistry.org.
2012NGE-Bells-Goats-Elvis.jpg

Isn't he something?

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Many folks breed father to daughter, not as common but also done is mother to son. The problem is when you breed father to daughter, then father to grand daughter, etc. etc. The more generations you line breed, the closer it comes to inbreeding. That of course brings problems. I've always heard it's not a good thing to breed siblings. I guess because they technically have virtually the same genetics... both came from the same sire/dam. Second generation line breeding is less of an issue if you are breeding for terminal animals that will never be sold, will be eaten.
I don't do mother-son or brother-sister.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We mostly need the milk, my son is allergic to cow milk the protein make up makes him sick. He does great with goat. So all the milk we can get would be great between milk, dairy products we could use it and the meat would be great as well. My girls have great confirmation but are not show quality their ears don't lay flat(Nubians) I got them cheaper because of the ears the breeder only kept show quality and would sale the shows for 500+ these two where 200 a piece. Which for just needing milk I was sgreat with. Goats milk is expensive 16 a gallon we go through alot with a 4 year old and 2 year old. That is great to know I can keep the daughters it makes it easier on us then have to constantly finding stock.
I want to try goat milk myself. What do you do to it?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cattle...
Breeding siblings together should not be a big problem if you are simply selling calves for beef. And for building a herd, the % genetic influence any ONE animal passes to subsequent offspring is the single most important thing to watch for.
Breeding daughter back to sire is not uncommon either, but 'grandaughter' back to sire is where it gets iffy. You're now in the 75% genetic influence from the same sire.
But, Line breeding can be a very efficient way of developing and keeping a great CONSISTENT line, but getting there and staying there will require much better culling practices than using more outside sires.

I know of 2 different lines of cattle that have never had an outside sire brought in for generations. One, (Lentz) not outcrossed since the 1870s, and another, The Wye herd of Univ of Maryland has seen no new genetics since 1957.

(the J. Lentz herd, came straigt linebred from Anxiety 4th, the Hereford bull that broke the mold)

Last edited:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want to try goat milk myself. What do you do to it?
You can pasteurize it. When we first tried it we tried it raw it was delicious. I most likely will end up pasteurizing what we drink since I have a new born as well. But you don't have to pasteurize it as long or as hot as commercial sales does to get it into the store. I believe it's 150°f for 15 minutes the cool as fast as possible. Compared the the commercial of 300°f for 30 minutes or something to that effect.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mmm I read that basised of cows milk awhile back its been awhile since I read about pasteurizing. I am still debating on it. But I am not suppose to have raw milk right now and I can't remember if I can while breastfeeding and anyways I mostly likely will because of the kids even through they did fine with the raw as well.