Lisperiosis

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had one of my female goats doing circling pacing. Called vet out and he said she had Listeria and gave her 6cc of Gentamicin. I need to repeat dose 2 more times. He check her hay for mold, but said it was good. He noted that they usually get it from moldy feed. This was a new one on me.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is true that it can be in moldy feed but it is also found in the environment naturally. It is really hard to avoid and surprising that more animal don't contract it. Hope that your goat is recovering.

This is from the Merck Manual.

There is a high incidence of intestinal carriers.

...lives in a plant-soil environment and has been isolated from ~42 species of domestic and wild mammals and 22 species of birds, as well as fish, crustaceans, insects, sewage, water, silage and other feedstuffs, milk, cheese, meconium, feces, and soil.

The natural reservoirs of L monocytogenes appear to be soil and mammalian GI tracts, both of which contaminate vegetation. Grazing animals ingest the organism and further contaminate vegetation and soil. Animal-to-animal transmission occurs via the fecal-oral route.

It as

kuwaiti-90

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Listeria ..

All this is based on what I know about it and what I have encountered in livestock in general

Lestria monocytogenes
Routes of transmission
1 / Taking the oral microbial with food, which burns the mucous membranes of the intestines
2 / by the eye and upper respiratory tract
3 / External parasites
4 / by blood

For prevention and treatment: -
1 / giving chlorotetracycline
2 / penicillin
3 / Treatment is not useful in case of delay and the appearance of symptoms clearly
4 / Give the appropriate vaccine

Symptoms of the disease:

1 * Separation from the herd in addition to lethargy and camber condition
2 * Rapid death
3 * Walking in a circular way
4 * fever in addition to anorexia
5 * conjunctivitis and blindness
6 * muscle twitching
7 * Shake the back menus
8 * Abortion

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We get it quite commonly from silage/haylage bales which have not been packaged completely airtight, or have been opened too long. Neurological signs including going to one side (which could be circular walking, i guess)

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My vet said to give her 6 cc of Gentamicin and 5 cc of fortified vitamin B complex for 3 days, twice a day.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My vet said to give her 6 cc of Gentamicin and 5 cc of fortified vitamin B complex for 3 days, twice a day.

I think this may be a bit unusual.I have checked the "MSD Veterinary Manual" on line and it says:-

"Recovery depends on early, aggressive antibiotic treatment. If signs of encephalitis are severe, death usually occurs despite treatment. L monocytogenes is susceptible to penicillin (the drug of choice), ceftiofur, erythromycin, and trimethoprim/sulfonamide. High doses are required because of the difficulty in achieving minimum bactericidal concentrations in the brain.

Penicillin G should be given at 44,000 U/kg body wt, IM, daily for 1–2 wk; the first injection should be accompanied by the same dose given IV. Supportive therapy, including fluids and electrolytes, is required for animals having difficulty eating and drinking. High-dose dexamethasone (1 mg/kg, IV) at first examination is considered beneficial by some but is controversial and will cause abortion during the last two trimesters in cattle and after day 135 in sheep."

I am NOT a vet, but I am a human physician and I am familiar with these antibiotics. These antibiotics are not the same "family" as Gentamicin. However - very important - your vet should/will know what antibiotics are best for the particular bacteria in your area, so I wouldn't panic. It might be worth calling him/her and gently/politely asking why they are using Gentamicin when the books say other antibiotics are indicated. That's what I'd do,for peace of mind.

Vitamins are an animal thing I don't know much about, but I know vets say help - my sheep have had them when ill.

Hope this helps and your little one gets better

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think this may be a bit unusual.I have checked the "MSD Veterinary Manual" on line and it says:-

"Recovery depends on early, aggressive antibiotic treatment. If signs of encephalitis are severe, death usually occurs despite treatment. L monocytogenes is susceptible to penicillin (the drug of choice), ceftiofur, erythromycin, and trimethoprim/sulfonamide. High doses are required because of the difficulty in achieving minimum bactericidal concentrations in the brain.

Penicillin G should be given at 44,000 U/kg body wt, IM, daily for 1–2 wk; the first injection should be accompanied by the same dose given IV. Supportive therapy, including fluids and electrolytes, is required for animals having difficulty eating and drinking. High-dose dexamethasone (1 mg/kg, IV) at first examination is considered beneficial by some but is controversial and will cause abortion during the last two trimesters in cattle and after day 135 in sheep."

I am NOT a vet, but I am a human physician and I am familiar with these antibiotics. These antibiotics are not the same "family" as Gentamicin. However - very important - your vet should/will know what antibiotics are best for the particular bacteria in your area, so I wouldn't panic. It might be worth calling him/her and gently/politely asking why they are using Gentamicin when the books say other antibiotics are indicated. That's what I'd do,for peace of mind.

Vitamins are an animal thing I don't know much about, but I know vets say help - my sheep have had them when ill.

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is good information. I might drive over to the other town and get another opinion about all of this. I think your right about the Vitamins. Thanks for your input

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is good information. I might drive over to the other town and get another opinion about all of this. I think your right about the Vitamins. Thanks for your input
I think that might be a good thing to do. Good luck. Do let us know how she does.