Litter of 5, only one left

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bunny update, all 3 remaining kits are doing ok now that they and Cinnamon are in the garage. Garage hasn't gone over 86 yet according to the thermometer, but outside has been in the 90s-100.

All outside rabbits have been getting frozen water bottles and I change out their drinking water when I get home. This morning I figured out how to add ice to the drinking water so hopefully it stayed cooler a little longer. I'm going by home Depot this evening to buy some ceramic tiles to put in the cages for the rabbits to lay on, I think that might help them stay cool as well. We are trying to add additional shade, but we are waiting on the package to arrive so we can set up a shade sail.

Baby bunnies are just starting to open their eyes, they look so grumpy. I know I have a castor (darkest one), does the tan one look like a lynx? I will try to get some better pictures of the gray one, but I'm thinking lilac or opal? I know it's not chinchilla because the genotype of dad is 'cc' and mom is either 'Ccchl' or 'Cc'. I'm thinking since none of the kits were REW, it's safe to assume that mom is 'Ccchl'.
KIMG5373.JPG
KIMG5369.JPG

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep! That baby is a Lynx ;)
As for the possible opal/lilac...
If it's an opal, it will have a gold triangle behind the ears and the belly and inside of ears and the nostrils will be white/gold.
If there is no white in the ears or on the belly, it's probably a lilac :)
They're beautiful babies!!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both a lynx and opal have 'dd', so that confirms that Cinnamon carries dilute, I knew Frost has at least 1 copy of 'd'. And lynx is 'bb', so again, both parents have a copy. This fills in 2 slots of Cinnamon's genotype and 1 slot for Frost. :D =D

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the gray baby is a Sable Agouti - A_cchlc.

I also think the tannish colored one is a dilute Orange (a color called Fawn or Cream or some such, depending on the breed). Lynx is a dilute Chocolate Agouti, with a band of lilac on the ends of the hair shafts. Orange and Red often wind up with "smut," a little bit of black/brown that doesn't quite get pushed off the ends of the hair shafts. In the Mini Rex, we have a trick for that - good Reds are chocolate based rather than black based, so any eumelanin on the tips of the hairs is brown rather than black. Brown being so close in appearance to the deep red-orange of the rufous-intensified pheomelanin band, you really don't see it. The rabbit in my avatar is an Amber Mini Rex (Amber is Chocolate Agouti). At first glance, he looks like a Red; you almost have to put him next to a Red to see that he has a decidedly brownish cast created by a band of brown rather than a light smear of brown on the tips of the hairs. (Red in the standard Rex had a red belly, which means the wide-band gene; wide band + non-extension does a pretty thorough job of getting rid of smut on its own, so there is no need for the chocolate trick). To me, the tannish colored kit appears to be a light orangey shade, with a wash of bluish shading (i.e, smut) rather than a dilute version of the Castor with chocolate instead of black as the top band.

Incidentally, people often confuse Fawn and Lynx. The big difference is that lilac is a pinkish dove-gray rather than blue-gray, and there is a clearly defined band of it rather than a smudgy tipping on the ends of the hairs.;)

Last edited:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Updated pictures. The gray one's whiskers are both white and black. Tummy seems to be white. The castor seems to have gray on the legs and the color doesn't look like the mom, is that normal? Will she grow out of it? When do they grow out of their baby fur and into their adult fur?

I've been trying to handle them every day, I'm hoping they will turn into little cuddle bugs. Their eyes are open now and they are out of the box each morning now. The tan one is able to jump back into the box, I'm not sure about the others yet.

KIMG5446.JPG
KIMG5445.JPG
KIMG5447.JPG
KIMG5451.JPG
KIMG5443.JPG
KIMG5449.JPG
KIMG5450.JPG
KIMG5452.JPG