Litter Of Mini-Rex/Lionhead babies

Susan Giffen

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Well, my Mini-Rex doe (who was bred to a Lionhead 4 month old buck) had six beautiful babies and a few of the babies seem to have the Mini-Rex coat pattern (kind of spotted) and the rest of the babies look like they take after the Lionhead buck. They’re too young to determine whether the Mini-Rex plush coat texture will have crossed over but they sure do look like Rexes.
Does anyone know how common (or possible) it is for the Rex coat texture to cross between a Lionhead and a Mini-Rex?

I’m not sure I would want to do this cross again. The two breeds just seem too different for it to be a good idea.
Thanks for any info anyone has.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unless your Lionhead is part Rex, none of the babies will have the Rex coat; a rabbit must inherit the Rex gene from both parents to get the Rex coat. However, one copy of the mane gene will give you single manes, so at least some of the babies should have single manes.

The spotting pattern is product of a completely different gene series. so it is inherited completely separately from the coat type.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes takes generations to get a consistent rex coat when out crossed. Am raising velveteen lops, which are25 plus years in the making, all have 4 plus generations of purebred velveteen lops and still get some coats not up to par.