Littermates

kailaeve1271

Just born
Reaction score
I breed rabbits for the FFA. I recently had a rabbit born that I believe is a double lion head. I would like to keep him. The problem is I’d have to keep him with my other buck (who is the father) Would they fight if I kept them together or will it work out since they would bond while one is a baby? The cage is a 3x4 and the buck I currently have is a dwarf lionhead.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Generally it's best if cage mates grow up together and aren't (or haven't been) used for breeding. But some people have no problems with introducing them later. Adequate space is a big consideration. You might consider dividing the cage.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just my opinion (based on over 30 years of rabbit keeping) - I would NEVER put a baby buck in the cage with a mature buck. Your buck may be different, but IME, a buck is a breeding machine that will mount anything that can't run away fast enough, and which can be very rough on anything that isn't welcoming of his attentions. Forget "bond while one is a baby;" he may castrate your baby before you even know there's a problem (and yes, I've seen this happen, even with litter mates). Much, much safer for your rabbits not to risk it.

(incidentally, the Lionhead is a dwarf breed, so I'm not clear on what a "Dwarf Lionhead" is supposed to be?)

But you say you think this baby is a Double Mane (DM); there is an easy way to tell DM's from SM's when they are just a few days old. As the fur starts growing in, the DM's have a triangle-shaped cape of fur on their backs while their sides are still pretty much bare; Single-maned babies grow fur evenly, looking pretty much like no-manes do at that age. ;)

Last edited:

kailaeve1271

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I believe he is a double mane because he had the v/triangle shaped fur when he was a baby but I am waiting to see a mane to make sure it wasn’t a coincidence (if that is possible). I called him a Dwarf Lionhead mix because he was mixed with Netherland Dwarf according to his last owner. Should I try dividing the cage and placing the baby on one half once he gets larger?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Giving each buck a separate space, entirely his own, is the safest option. Whether you achieve that by building additional cages or by putting secure dividers in the cages you already have depends on your own space and financial constraints.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait too long. Bunnylady is my go to on rabbit questions, so totally agree with her. Bucks aren't good for keeping other rabbits with. IMHO, any rabbit is pretty solitary. Lots of folks try to keep them together as companions, but they always seem to fight it out for dominance.

BuckWildRabbitry

Just born
Reaction score
It cannot be a double mane lionhead even if the one parent was double maned... Netherland drawfs do not have manes unless they are crossed. MM is double Mane Mm is single mane. mm is no mane. Since you get one allele from each parents mane gene Lionhead Double mane MM and Netherland drawf mm no mane you can only get single mane. Both will have a triangle around the back of their neck but a double mane will also have one on its butt. This is the skirt and is not considered the other mane and the skirt counts towards nothing in showing. Just the mane around the head and it has to be at least 2 inches all around the head. I highly recommend joining the North American Lionhead Rabbit Club.or at least visit the webpage. http://www.lionhead.us/ and yes separate them I had a buck that was the father to another buck get into the other ones cage and he bit his boy parts off.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It cannot be a double mane lionhead even if the one parent was double maned..

I think you missed something. The sire is the one the OP is referring to as a Lionhead/Dwarf cross; the possible DM is the offspring of this crossbred rabbit. I don't believe the OP has stated whether the doe has a mane or not. If she does, even if it's just a single mane, it is indeed possible that the offspring of two SM's could be a DM.