Little Lonely Goat

Ashlee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The time has come to separate my little buck from the does. He's going to be my breeder next fall so fixing him isn't an option. I feel really bad putting him by himself because he is used to a lot of attention and hasn't been alone since birth. He has a great pen with a huge house, just waiting for him.
Am I just over thinking this? What are my options for a companion for him? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!:)

Ashlee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! What breed of goats do you have? Goats due best with a buddy-do you have a wether friend that can join him? How far apart will he be from the does-sharing a fence line or within seeing distance?

tagging others with more goat experience @OneFineAcre @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @babsbag @Ferguson K

I have pygmy goats. Just three right now.
They will be sharing a fence line. I may look for a wether for him. just wondering if a lamb would be a good idea, or better to stick with goats?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I would try to find a wether friend for him. Some people successfully keep sheep and goats together, but since goats butt and sheeps ram (hard), plus their different dietary needs (sheep cannot eat goat feed or minerals due to the amount of copper), sticking with goats would likely be better. In my opinion, anyway!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
You say they're sharing a fenceline? Can they see each other?

Your best bet would be companion animal. If they're sharing a fenceline and can see/ feel/ touch he might be ok.

Ashlee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, they can see each other. I have come up with the best solution I do believe...More goats! Found a young wether same age/breed as my billy posted for sale today, so I figured it must be a sign that he was meant to come home with me. His sister, well that's just an added bonus as I couldn't leave her there all alone!
They warn you about chicken math, but nobody ever says anything about goats! My herd sure is growing fast

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
That will work too.

Just remember new goats and your goats might have different diseases they've been exposed to and can get each other sick.

Good luck!

Latest posts