Little man with scours.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First off I wanna say I'm going to worry myself into an early grave with these two babies. Seems like there's so much that can go bad quick!

I moved them out to their permanent lot this weekend and now I'm wishing they were still in my garage where I could watch them closer again lol. But now my little boy has scours and idk if it's just from the stress of the move or what. Still bottle feeding the same though I have added a small handful of medicated grower feed and minerals though they're pretty much not interested in the minerals even when I tried to give it to them by hand. He's not acting depressed and still jumping and playing. So I guess that's good. Part of me wonders if when I dewormer them I didn't give them enough. I have safeguard for goats and they got 0.15 cc each but then I've read I'm supposed to give them this for 3 days and at a higher dose. He's gotten electrolytes and probiotics since I noticed it 2 days ago he got a bottle of electrolytes and then in the water bucket. Urine output seems adequate and clear. I've seen him drink water so I think he's hydrated. In my Storey's book there's a remedy of buttermilk an egg and other things I'm supposed to give every 2-3 hours. You guys are the experts so giving him that and stopping the milk sound like a good idea along with the electrolytes? The book says the buttermilk mixture every 2-3 hours and 1-2 cups/10 lbs a day until the scours stop.

Sorry for the long post wanted to make sure I had all the information in there y'all needed. And again thank you for all the help y'all have given me so far!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get a fecal on this kid! He is at the prime age for cocci, a dewormer isn't going to touch it. When did you schedule his appointment? The stress of the move can cause a bloom. Cocci is the #1 kid killer, try to have his fecal checked ASAP.

There is a possibility that he overate on that is making him a bit runny.

Scours in kids is nothing to mess with.

I have never given the buttermilk egg mixture. I think that would cause more problems for your guy. Not sure why they'd suggest that. Not something I would do.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Appointment isn't until Monday but I'm probably going to just bring him in tomorrow. That came from "Storeys guide to raising dairy goats" said it was a remedy from a vet. It's something like 1 cup of buttermilk + 1 raw egg + 1 tsp cocoa and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Said to stop milk all together and give 1/4 of that mixture every 2-3 hours until it stops. Idk all I know is I'm taking either him, his poop or both tomorrow to the vet.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can do that if you really feel you need too, but no way I'd be giving it. That would be worse for the kids digestive system IMO and more likely to bring on something like overeating disease… to much of a change to quickly.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. Plus taking him off his milk worries me anyway since he's already skinny.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hallelujah we have solid little pellets! You know I never thought I'd be sitting outside for half an hour watching a goat poop. Seems like the scours are gone for now. I reckon he just stressed out by not being so close to Mama anymore. Still keeping close watch!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad he has solid pellets. When you take him in on Monday take some pellets with you in a baggie, the fresher the better. That way the vet can do the fecal and not make you bring it back in later. They never pooh on command. :)

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will definitely do that. That's why I sat there watching him so long! He'd poop constantly all day long until I needed him too. :rolleyes:

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Everything is still good. The scours are gone and they're both still playing an eating well and it seems like they're growing like weeds! Since the scours cleared i figured I would keep my initial appointment. Will definitely let you guys know the results!