Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) & Herding / Working Dog Breeds Listing

LittleFarmLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have been looking at the possibility of a Bernese Mountain Dig for an LGD. Is there any possibility that this animal would be a good family pet as well or do we need to separate working pets from family pets?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A working dog is still a dog. It needs to know how to behave and accept your other pets. Having said that, I have to keep my GP and my Australian Shepherd separate because they hate each other. They both "own" me and the Aussie snapped at The Queen. Wrong. Thing. To. Do. The fight was on and ever since they hate each other. If you start with a puppy, it should learn what belongs to you and accept it. My GP was a 10 month problem dog, (she's 5 now) except for hating the Aussie, she's perfect. (the Aussie will still snarl at the GP through the patio glass doors)

Integrate them from the start, LGD's are smart. A Bernese Mountain dog is a beautiful dog.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been looking at the possibility of a Bernese Mountain Dig for an LGD. Is there any possibility that this animal would be a good family pet as well or do we need to separate working pets from family pets?

Although the BMD is a working dog it is generally not used as a Livestock Guardian. Their size alone is a disadvantage at 23-27 inches tall. They are used more today as carting dogs, also seen in herding or driving cattle and agility work. They are great farmdogs however. Their wiring is simply not the same as a LGD breed.
Their short lifespan is also a concern. Average age 8 years. Some as short lived as 6 years. Prone to cancers and bone issues.

I love this breed of dog and find them to be not just beautiful animals but wonderful companions! As a farm-dog I think they are great but as a LGD I personally would never recommend them.

Our working LGD's respect our family dogs because they are trained to. They are all protective of our farm-dog. Having said that I do have one pyr (Female) that hates our GSD (German Shepherd Dog).

They use to be buddies until the GSD and one of our goats developed a game of run up and down the fence and play.:rolleyes:
My F pyr does not tolerate the GSD "on" the fence. She now has zero tolerance for the GSD and although the GSD has superior bite strength and is fast as can be the F Pyr could kill her in a minute. She simply "chooses" not to. Our Anatolian Female also does not like the GSD on the fence and is fierce to keep her off. Yet, if the toli is brought out of her field she gets along just fine with the GSD.

My newest toli a 6 month male does NOT like the farm-dog and is showing his dominance over her. However because all of our parent stock protect the farm-dog and respect her they in turn bring swift correction to the new pup for intimidating the farm-dog.

Different scenarios with different dogs. We do not allow our farm-dog or GSD to go into any of the livestock fields. PERIOD.
We do bring all of our LGD's out of their fields and into the house. They get house time on the weekends. Dividing the days and the teams...for special off duty time and family time. We LOVE our LGD's! :)

LittleFarmLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Although the BMD is a working dog it is generally not used as a Livestock Guardian. Their size alone is a disadvantage at 23-27 inches tall. They are used more today as carting dogs, also seen in herding or driving cattle and agility work. They are great farmdogs however. Their wiring is simply not the same as a LGD breed.
Their short lifespan is also a concern. Average age 8 years. Some as short lived as 6 years. Prone to cancers and bone issues.

I love this breed of dog and find them to be not just beautiful animals but wonderful companions! As a farm-dog I think they are great but as a LGD I personally would never recommend them.

Our working LGD's respect our family dogs because they are trained to. They are all protective of our farm-dog. Having said that I do have one pyr (Female) that hates our GSD (German Shepherd Dog).

They use to be buddies until the GSD and one of our goats developed a game of run up and down the fence and play.:rolleyes:
My F pyr does not tolerate the GSD "on" the fence. She now has zero tolerance for the GSD and although the GSD has superior bite strength and is fast as can be the F Pyr could kill her in a minute. She simply "chooses" not to. Our Anatolian Female also does not like the GSD on the fence and is fierce to keep her off. Yet, if the toli is brought out of her field she gets along just fine with the GSD.

My newest toli a 6 month male does NOT like the farm-dog and is showing his dominance over her. However because all of our parent stock protect the farm-dog and respect her they in turn bring swift correction to the new pup for intimidating the farm-dog.

Different scenarios with different dogs. We do not allow our farm-dog or GSD to go into any of the livestock fields. PERIOD.
We do bring all of our LGD's out of their fields and into the house. They get house time on the weekends. Dividing the days and the teams...for special off duty time and family time. We LOVE our LGD's! :)
This was very helpful, thank you for sharing your LGD and Farm Dog schedules. Your comment have me a much better idea of what the day to day role of a LGD should look like. *Total noob*

june2013

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is there a list, or even an existence, of LGDs that can withstand the heat? Every LGD I seem to find has a very thick coat and many pet websites have a warning that they can overheat and to keep them cool with the AC running when it's hot out. I know that they can withstand seasonal changes but what about a place that's almost never cold? Like Texas or California? I heard Anatolian Shepherds are the best, but surely, there must be something else?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there a list, or even an existence, of LGDs that can withstand the heat? Every LGD I seem to find has a very thick coat and many pet websites have a warning that they can overheat and to keep them cool with the AC running when it's hot out. I know that they can withstand seasonal changes but what about a place that's almost never cold? Like Texas or California? I heard Anatolian Shepherds are the best, but surely, there must be something else?

Most of the LGD breeds are long coated. The Anatolian/Kangal are the most common of the shorter haired LGD breeds.
Spanish Mastiffs are available in the US but I am not sure of the status of genetic diversity as there are very few here so possibility of too much inbreeding/linebreeding.

The Toli's have an incredibly thick coat but shed out well and they do well in hot climates.

Many cross the Anatolians with other LGD breeds and often those dogs end up short haired.

A LGD breed crossed with another LGD breed is an LGD.:)

Latest posts