Livestock guardian dogs and mini donkeys

Boor122009

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new and my wife and I are moving to the country on a small farm of 11 acres. We currently have no animals, but have a 4 year old, 33", 150lb Central Asian Shepherd, who is just great. Unfortunately, he has never been around any livestock and my wife wants to consider mini donkeys. Everything I have read about donkeys is that they dis-like anything dog or wolf-like. Is it possible to get the mini's at an early age and integrate them with my "LGD in training"?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know of 2 minidonkeys that are under a year that go after coyotes every chance they get. It is just instinct. You are really creating a complication with the 2 breeds because they are both intended to protect livestock. I would be very wary of trying to integrate them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

the other thing is your dog may not adapt to ever being a LGD at this point and see the family as what he/she is to guard. I just wouldn't put both animals in the same field.

Boor122009

Just born
Reaction score
I really appreciate the feed back, I've been doing my research, just trying to convince the mrs. that it isn't a good idea, thank you for both of the posts.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini donkeys as guardians? Maybe against foxes. I've always read to skip a mini and get a real/regular donkey for protection.
A big dog against a mini shouldn't be an issue if they both have areas to get away from each other and they both learn to tolerate the other.
Either way, find a breeder who has dogs, if they are already used to them, it will be easier. You don't want ones that are instantly aggressive or runaway as soon as they see a dog. Your dog needs to start training now, too. Have any friends with livestock? Ask them if you can bring your dog by, on a short leash and in a muzzle if need be, just to get him used to the smell, sight and sounds they make.

Latest posts