Livinwright Farm's Journal - Our life with goats

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Wattles are a 50/50 thing even if both parents have them. Daisy and Speedy both have wattles and of the twins only 1 got wattles. They are born with them - they do not develop later.

Beards may be genetic...to be honest I've never paid attention to that. I've seen beards start developing on bucklings as early as 5 months...doelings usually start later. Hormones start that type of hair growth.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Wattles are a 50/50 thing even if both parents have them. Daisy and Speedy both have wattles and of the twins only 1 got wattles. They are born with them - they do not develop later.

Beards may be genetic...to be honest I've never paid attention to that. I've seen beards start developing on bucklings as early as 5 months...doelings usually start later. Hormones start that type of hair growth.
I've heard that, but after looking down Sheba's pedigree and seeing every last goat down her sire's side having wattles, I feel pretty confident that we can expect to see primarily wattles from her. Closer to an 80/20 chance. If looking back in a pedigree only shows one or two here and there with them, then you can expect the 50/50 chance, or lower.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Snippety doo dah, snippety yay, my oh my what a wonderful day... for making wethers!

By the end of this weekend we will have 2 bucklings started on their way to becoming wethers. I say started on their way, because we opt for banding. We are leaving the blue eyed boy intact along with HighNote.

Giving Momma some baking soda today, along with some probiotic powder. This morning at milking she didn't eat. This got me a little worried, then I noticed her have a pudding poop. I checked her temperature.. it was normal: 103.2. Her rumen sounds are in good timing. She eats her hay, but doesn't want any grain. We haven't switched her grain, still the same mix. I'm wondering if the up and down in NH's temps have messed with a her a little bit.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Ricky(was Johnny) and Johnny(was Squire) have been banded!!

We followed the directions in the Raising Goats For Dummies book, giving 1 adult asprin to each boy and we gave them their second dose of CD&T(book said to give 1 cc of tetnus antitox, but it was time to give them their 2nd CD&T so we just gave them that).

We were unable to get ahold of any epi for the just in case, but thankfully it doesn't appear as any of them are having a bad reaction to the CD&T(we administered to our whole herd). We administered SubQ, does anyone know if it takes longer to see a bad reaction with that method vs the intramuscular(sp?)? I know intramuscular only takes 10-20 minutes to see a bad reaction IF they are going to have one. I will continue to check in on them over the next couple hours, just to be sure.

Olivia & Onyx apparently have rhino skin :rolleyes: ... Pushed the needle in, felt the... how do you say it... not pop... the change that happens when you get past the other side of their skin, and went to inject like we did with the others, and there was a stream down their sides... pushed the needle a little more and got 1/3 of the dose into Olivia, 1/2 the dose into Onyx. :rolleyes: figures the biggest brats would have thicker skin.. or a layer of fat shielding the back side of their skin. :lol:

Now to see how long until the two boys are fully wethers... just hoping the cat doesn't find their dried up, lost bits, and decides to play with them... :sick But that would be JUST like a cat.

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
I don't think YOU have much to worry about, he was headed our way judging from the article. But our property has a sign posted that reads "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again".... ;)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Last I heard, logged into the online police raio scanner, they aren't really sure exactly which way he went... which is why every last officer/state trooper in Carroll County, and a few surrounding towns, is in Ossipee tonight looking for him. apparently they have been lookinbg since about 2:30 this afternoon.... I let Mr. Levesque know about it, since he is not that far from the jail...

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Latest report says:

Hobson is from Alfred, Maine, and Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland said they believe he may be trying to return to Maine. Police said they are following up on leads.

"At this point, we believe he probably made it to a vehicle, or certainly to the road. But it's a heavily wooded section. This complex sits on 1,000 acres, and there's various terrain. There's a lot of marsh and wet areas," Carroll County Sheriff Christopher Conley said.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29905939/detail.html#ixzz1fOIgdbEG

:/
Why couldn't I have woken up to see that he had been captured...?? :barnie

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to see that you have to worry about an escaped convict. Article says that he was in for burglary. It seems odd to me that he wanted to escape so bad that he went through razor wire when he was just in for burglary :/

I hope they find him soon so that you all can relax. I know I'd be upset and worried too. :hugs

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Latest report says:

Hobson is from Alfred, Maine, and Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland said they believe he may be trying to return to Maine. Police said they are following up on leads.

"At this point, we believe he probably made it to a vehicle, or certainly to the road. But it's a heavily wooded section. This complex sits on 1,000 acres, and there's various terrain. There's a lot of marsh and wet areas," Carroll County Sheriff Christopher Conley said.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29905939/detail.html#ixzz1fOIgdbEG

:/
Why couldn't I have woken up to see that he had been captured...?? :barnie
Too bad you're in New Hampshire rather than say, Florida, since I am sure if someone tried trudging through marshy wetlands, an alligator would have a nice convict snack before he made it out! Hopefully they nab him soon!