Livinwright Farm's Journal - Our life with goats

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Thanks to Elevan(Emily) for bringing this idea to BYH! :thumbsup

Our little backyard farm started when we brought home 14 chicks, of various breeds, in May of 2010. As time went on, we felt led to start looking for goats.
In September of 2010, we came across a CL ad for 2 Nigerian Dwarf does & 3 Nigerian Dwarf/Pygmy cross kids. A 6 hour round trip later, we had 5 goats to start us off.

We acquired 14 more pullets(BRs & EEs) in mid to late winter.

Long story short, there were accidental breedings, resulting in one of the kids(Cali) going through pregnancy, and then her & her buckling dying due to complications during labor. Maude(one of the adult does) gave birth, a week ago today, to a chamoisee doeling that weighing exactly 5 lbs. Due to a lack of heats and feeling movement in her kid area, we believe that Momma(second adult doe) is pregnant and due in roughly a month or so.
One month ago we picked up a caramel Nigerian(or Nigerian/Pygmy.. not 100% sure) buck to expand the gene pool. His name is Falkor. He has no problems being in the barn, but does seem to have an issue with doors/gates.

About 2-3 weeks ago we acquired 14 more hens from church friends.

Today we made a 3 hour round trip to get 2 beautiful little does. :celebrate :celebrate One of them(Minnie) is a pure caramel Pygmy doe with WATTLES who has kidded twice before. Once with twins, and once with triplets. Both times with no issues.
The other(Daisy) is a black & white, frosted/agouti(unsure which to call it??) Nigerian Dwarf/Pygmy doe who has never been bred. Pictures of both will be added as soon as they are loaded to the computer. ;)

We are already planning out who will be bred to who. Do we breed Falkor & Minnie together and get more caramel goats? Do we breed Pup & Daisy to get more black & whites? Or do we breed Marly to Daisy and Pup to Minnie in an attempt to get flashy(interesting pattern & coloration) kids? Lots to think about!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Daisy
3120_around_the_house_farm_010.jpg

Minnie
3120_around_the_house_farm_011.jpg

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
We are currently awaiting reply from a goat farm in Swanzey, NH about one of their bucklings that was born this past week(June 8th, just 4 days after Olivia). He is absolutely beautiful! I love his superimposed beamed eighth notes(♫) !!!

His name will be: HighNote
3120_highnote.jpg

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
HighNote's lineage:
Dam: Proctor Hill farm TassajaraBlu
DD: Indigo Kids Blue Jasmine
DGD: Raven Hill Bambi
DGD(paternal): Fairlea Clio 2*D 'E' AR(pending)
DGGD: Raven Hill Coco Creme
DGGD(paternal): MCH Fairlea Heidi *D E

Sire: Rosasharn TL Challenger
SD: Rosasharn HB Anora
SGD: Rosasharn's TL Arwen 8*D E AR1809
SGD(paternal): ARMCH Goodwood Water Lilly 2*D VG AR1599
SGGD: ARMCH Rosasharn's Elfin 7*D VG, 1*M
SGGD(paternal): It'l Do's Chalktaw *D

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
We have decided to try and find Falkor a suitable home, if none can be found, he will be sent to freezer camp. :/
Today we set up the redezvous between Falkor & Minnie, as Minnie was showing signs of being in heat(mounting Daisy, blubbering, frequent urination). After about an hour Falkor managed to mount(appeared to be successful) her 4 times. Ever since, he has chosen just to sniff her and rub his head on the back of her rear leg. I think this is his way of saying, "my job here is done" :lol: weirdo.
I am fairly certain that come early November(around the 9th), she will kid his offspring :fl :fl :fl I am also fairly certain that she will at least have twins, as her FF was twins(haven't gotten the sexes yet) and her SF was triplets(2 girls, 1boy). :fl :fl :fl triplets again!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Why does Falkor need to go? Is it because he took an hour to get some successful mounts? I'm just curious... sometimes our does make it really difficult for the buck to "get a purchase" on them...Lilly likes to run around in circles :rolleyes:

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
No, not anything having to do with his breeding abilities. LOL :lol:

We rehomed him to a woman who has multiple run-ins and 50 acres of land with hiking trails.
We actually just got a call from her. She let us know, that she let him out into her fenced area with all the connecting gates open. He roamed around finding which run-in he was gonna call home, and staked his claim on one. She also took our Splash Laced Red Rooster, Sour, and Sour is living with Falkor and happily eating all the bugs he can find. :) We are very glad to know that they are both going to be living on this farm freely and happily until they die of old age.

OH! And the woman said that if Minnie doesn't settle from their breeding, that she will bring Falkor over for another try. :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If I lived closer I would have been interested in him...

What the heck am I saying?!? I've got to many bucks now! :gig

I'm glad he went to a great home. I can't wait to see what his and Minnie's kids look like!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
We can't wait to see what their kids look like either, and we have started getting Daisy used to her mate, Pup. We are really hoping that what we read about the breeding of black & whites to black & white agouti is accurate. What we read on a couple pages, is that when these are bred to each other, the black becomes dominant. We would love at least one nice primarily black or solid black Pygerian baby with frosted ears! :love

We are hoping for multiple girls from at least the Falkor/Minnie breeding... love the caramel girls! Oh, and Minnie has some grey undermarkings on her face & neck(not sure if this is a form of agouti... or what this would be called in the Pygmy world)... so that might make the colorations VERY interesting.