Llama acting strange- Is She SICK??? HELP!!!!

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Recently we've had strange weather here in Arizona. One day it's 50 degress the next it's 80 degrees. I am wondering if my new llama is having problems regulating body temperature, however I haven't taken it's temperature. Heres what she is doing...

When I threw a flake of hay out for them to eat, she normally would go up and just eat it, she wouldn't get up to go eat it. She has been laying down almost everytime I go down to the corral to check on everyone. I was almost able to watch up to her, which, she is not fond of. She got up slowly and walked away. I left her alone, and she walked up to the hay... smelled it and left it alone.

She's been dunking her face in the water, and I noticed her ear was even wet. She lives with 2 other llamas. 1 female and 1 very young male cria.

Does anyone know what I should look for? Is she just acting hot???

OH! And last week, she was out of the corral. She must have jumped the 5ft fence?!?!? My husband said she had a ton of bushes on her back probably from falling after the jump.

I don't know much about these particular llamas, because I have only owned them for a month.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just witnessed her peeing, and it wasn't clear at first, and then it was. I went over to the community poo pile and saw a mucus type stuff in it. . .
It is very possible that she is pregnant, but she sure as heck does NOT look like it..

She also was eating again today.

Can anyone help? I've only had the llamas for 2 weeks now.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I wish I could help but I'm fairly new to llamas too.

I hope someone posts soon for you.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks... Shes still acting very sick. I'm going to look up Vets in the area...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, I would suggest finding a vet. If you could take her temp that would be good. I would also suggest getting a shot of Banamine into her if you have it. The dosage is 1cc per 100 lbs. She could have worms with the mucousy stool. A fecal test would be good to do. If you have ivomec, you can give her a shot of it at 1cc per 70 lbs. You have to give llamas a shot of Ivomec, not orally. But she also may need something for tape worms or round worms.

Also, jumping the fence, she could have sustained internal injuries. I lost an alpaca to a freak accident of her jumping a fence. Most of the time animals jump the fence and they are just fine but my particular alpaca didn't completely clear it and she punctured her bladder. By the time we realized that it wasn't heat stress, we lost her.

The other thing may also be what she ate when she was out.

I hope you can find out what is wrong. I hope she does ok for you. :hugs

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Yes, I would suggest finding a vet. If you could take her temp that would be good. I would also suggest getting a shot of Banamine into her if you have it. The dosage is 1cc per 100 lbs. She could have worms with the mucousy stool. A fecal test would be good to do. If you have ivomec, you can give her a shot of it at 1cc per 70 lbs. You have to give llamas a shot of Ivomec, not orally. But she also may need something for tape worms or round worms.

Also, jumping the fence, she could have sustained internal injuries. I lost an alpaca to a freak accident of her jumping a fence. Most of the time animals jump the fence and they are just fine but my particular alpaca didn't completely clear it and she punctured her bladder. By the time we realized that it wasn't heat stress, we lost her.

The other thing may also be what she ate when she was out.

I hope you can find out what is wrong. I hope she does ok for you. :hugs
Where does the Banamine go? My boss said in the main vein on the neck?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You can give Banamine either SQ or IM. It does NOT have to go in the vein. It is a pain reliever/fever reducer.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, I just got off the phone with a Vet. She says she's booked for a week and up... she can't do a house call. She mentioned Banamine and injecting it into the back leg in her meaty part. Not in a vein. She also said they can sell me B Complex Vitamins to inject as well. My boss has the banamine, so he will be bringing that to me tomorrow. I just hope it's not too late by the time I get it to her. My husband called me just now, and says she's standing up with the rest of the herd, and is acting normal... well... this I have to see.

She was laying by the water trough and drinking from it all day on Sunday, and I did see her eating some...

FINGERS CROSSED!!! :fl :fl :fl

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That would be good to get some B Complex into her. Hopefully whatever is wrong is going away. You can do Banamine once a day for 3 days but don't do more than 3 days. You can also give the injection SQ where the neck meets into the body. There usually is a lot of space there to pull skin out.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
That would be good to get some B Complex into her. Hopefully whatever is wrong is going away. You can do Banamine once a day for 3 days but don't do more than 3 days. You can also give the injection SQ where the neck meets into the body. There usually is a lot of space there to pull skin out.
Oh thank you so much. I'm going to try to get to the vet hospital to pick up some B Complex for her. I am so happy that you are here to help. These are my 1st llamas, and I feel like a bad mommy! But maybe her condition was pre-meditated. :O(