Llama fencing

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I finally brought my llama home from the place hes been staying. I have 3 strand high tensile wire as fence, and he ecsaped last night. I came to feed him annd his horse buddy, and he was nowhere to be seen. He turned up in the garden, but no fene was down or anything like that. I sume he just slipped through. Is there any way other than refencijng or electrifying the fence that i could do? He is locked in the barn at the moment, and is not happy about it. Please give any suggestions.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No. The best fence for llamas and alpacas is the woven wire that has the 2"x4" openings. I think Red Brand calls it horse fence. You can try electric but with all that fiber, he may not feel it.

Jules Harrell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use the 16 foot long, 5.5 foot high cattle panels from Tractor Supply. They are strong enough to climb on and the llamas don't even look at them twice. I'm sure he's very unhappy with no llamas, that's about the worst punishment a llama can have, to be taken from his herd and put into a pasture with a horse. Please get him another llama asap. He's not going to "settle in" when he's crying inside for his tribe. I can't even take one of my llamas for a walk without the others flipping out. I have to take two at a time, and the two left behind still nuts. Llamas have a bond that we humans don't understand. They are herd animals, meaning they HAVE to have their herd.

Jules

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm sure he's very unhappy with no llamas, that's about the worst punishment a llama can have, to be taken from his herd and put into a pasture with a horse. Please get him another llama asap. He's not going to "settle in" when he's crying inside for his tribe.
I know he's alone, but for the moment, he's fine. The last place he was at, he was kept with 3 females and a horse, and he was more of a buddy to the horse than the other llamas. As for getting another llama ASAP. I have to go to work to get the money to have another, but still have money for emergencies and feed. So getting another is, for right now, out of the question. He is bonding well with the new horse, and gets to be outside all day with him. The fence was tightened and fixed to where he can't just slip out. He's doing great. Thanks for the great input everybody!! :thumbsup

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I would have to agree with woven wire or cattle panels. No way is a llama gonna feel the electric shock through all that fiber.

Our llama and our horses do not like each other. Just because he was buds with a horse at his previous home doesn't mean that he'll love the horses at his new home. That does not mean that you need to get more llamas though. Just make sure that he has a way to get away from the horses and that the horses cannot keep him out of the barn. We had to put up a board in one doorway that is at a height that our llama can get in but the horses can't (for that section of the barn).

I'm sure you'll figure out what will work best for your farm and your llama. Congratulations on your new guy.

stanley

Just born
Reaction score
A lesson I learned the hard way twice is when you bring a new animal to the farm pen it up a couple of days to get it used to the new surroundings first. Most animals can escape your fence they do not because they don't want to leave familiar surroundings when you move them they need adjustment time. My Llamas can jump a four foot woven wire fence as well as my ram I am sure your horse could jump the fence if he chooses or just push it down.
I don't think you tightening the fence is keeping him in it's the fact he is comfortable at your place now

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, now that hes been home for a few weeks, ill agree that he is more comfortable. As it turns out, the horse and him are great friends. I put jackson in the barn on rainy or cold nights, so that the horse has no cchance of running him out. The horse can still get in the wal,way of the barn too, but away from the llama. I am also getting a second gelding at the end of august. Ways away, but its better than nothing. He hasnt escaped again, and ive seen him galloping flat out across the pasture from his shadow :) Thanks again everyone!

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
there is a stray llama in our neighborhood that is sometimes in my pasture and sometimes not. we don't have the greatest fences in the world, some good panels and some old field fence, but he seems to come and go at will. i don't think a tensile wire fence would keep one in. (in my horse pasture, he can't get in with the goats)