Llama help! down head back right leg twitching

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I came home to find my llama on the ground not a normal Cushing position but laid out with his head curled around and back and his right leg twitching. I gave the tetanus antitoxin bosivera and ac&d antitoxin, cd&t vaccine, and antibiotic thiamine and b12 and banamine. no visible signs of injury or trauma he's been in the baby pain with the kids maybe a little more Alfalfa access and he should have but otherwise nothing abnormal.
IMG_20190506_183209956.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have alpaca, close enough. Hah

Is he routinely injected to prevent meningeal worm?
Dectomax or ivomec are used for this.

Eye membranes pink or white?
Is he bloated?
Rectal temperature?

Can you get him sternal in the meantime?

Are you on Facebook? There are a few good groups for alpaca and llama care.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about llamas but the head back makes me think polio (b-12 deficiency) like in goats ?
Not sure if this happens to llamas though.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have alpaca, close enough. Hah

Is he routinely injected to prevent meningeal worm?
Dectomax or ivomec are used for this.

Eye membranes pink or white?
Is he bloated?
Rectal temperature?

Can you get him sternal in the meantime?

Are you on Facebook? There are a few good groups for alpaca and llama care.
He does not normally get wormed he is a giant pain in the backside who is very difficult to catch. His lids appear to be normal but no he doesn't generally get medicine for that if I get him a CD and T and stuff once a year that's mostly what he gets. With the yearly cut and forced trim. sadly my llama's get probably the least care of anything I own because they're both difficult and I am by myself.
Well, something in the kitchen sink I threw at him is helping. At least he stopped twitching was moving his legs around a little bit more and he was able to hold a Cushing position when I pushed him up into it unlike earlier. By the time I took the last milk out had his head up which is a definite improvement. :fl
He is on his own now. I have to get some sleep I have to be up in 5 hours for another day driving a semi.

Thank you!

No I am not on Facebook. I refuse to support them while they spy and promote things I totally disagree with. I have to deal with Google, but that's about it.

Last edited:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Camelids have a tendency to hide their illness until too much damage is done. From my experience once they are down, that’s it. The head tilting back is what they do when they are going. Please don’t think Im trying to be harsh I just feel in this case there is no need to sugarcoat things. Im not saying you can’t help him but we have lost several alpaacas and the heald tilt is the biggest indicator that they are dying.

How old is he?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Camelids have a tendency to hide their illness until too much damage is done. From my experience once they are down, that’s it. The head tilting back is what they do when they are going. Please don’t think Im trying to be harsh I just feel in this case there is no need to sugarcoat things. Im not saying you can’t help him but we have lost several alpaacas and the heald tilt is the biggest indicator that they are dying.

How old is he?
I am not sure of his age under 10. I know that's what scared me so bad about the head tilt back that usually is really bad. Like in goats when they start stargazing you can bring them back from goat polio/lysterial yst boy you got to be all over it.
The good news is when I went out late last night I was able to get him into a semi Cushing position and this morning he was actually able to wobbly stand so something in that kitchen sink I threw at him helped. I really worried about him last figuring he wouldn't make it on top of that it absolutely poured and he was stuck where he had gone down. I couldn't move him it was all I can do to get into a semi Cushing position. All I can do now is hope as I checked him this morning before I left for the day.

Last edited: