Llama laying on side? HELP

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The last few days when I've gone outside, my female llama has been laying down, on her stomach, per the norm. Upon approaching her, she's gotten up. Today i went out and she was laying on her side. Which does NOT look good. I didn't go to her, but i did say her name and she twitched her ears, (she never responds to her name or looks so this was normal too)
I didn't go to her because i wanted to make sure this wasn't bad before i disturbed her, or if it was bad and moving her was not good.
She has excess to clean water to drink and is in a field full of grass.

It's also rather hot today, (she is sheared however) so could it be possible that she's hot?

PLEASE HELP!

My google research didn't help me.

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just went out and checked on her; She's up now and in the field eating with her sister. And i went up to her to check her out up close, and she sniffed my hands looking for a hand out. Maybe she's fine after all.

But still, Is Llama's laying on their side alright?

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My llamas always lay on the ground and they stretch out to look like they're dead :p . It's perfectly normal unless you also notice symptoms that suggest otherwise

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We used to call it "Dead Llama" they really do look dead! Unless like newgirl said, you notice other issues, she is fine. They love to dust bathe

If its super hot I would offer her a kiddy pool or a sprinkler. At least a spritzing of her belly and lower neck area with your hose. All my alpacca's and llama's have loved water in the heat. A pond would be great if you have one.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sometimes they do lay on their side. If it is hot, I would make sure they have shade to go in, even have a fan going. Also put out water with electrolytes in it along with the regular water.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My llamas are always laying out on their sides in the "dead llama" pose.

Like everyone else's has said about the heat, keep a close eye on them. They seem to get heat stress easier than other animals. A wading pool works well or if they look really hot, hosing them off cools them down faster. Only hose the belly and between the legs. Getting the fiber (if it's long) wet will make them hotter.

I used to have a llama that would wade up to her belly in a pond when she was hot. One of my current llamas stands in the water trough.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My old llama used to get in the pond up to his neck. He looked like the lochness monster!

They are very sensitive to heat. I've seen one die from not enough cooling areas. All she had was a water trough that wasn't big enough for her to get cool.

I do miss my llamas. Alpaccas not so much...

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for replying everyone!

I'll be sure to go out there today at spray her down if it gets hot

Latest posts