llama meat...do tell :)

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tell me what you know about this meat. Who has tried it? How does it taste to you? I hear the older llamas meat is better....like 3-5 years old? Do you agree? How can I tell how old a llama is?

Thank you!

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi!
We eat llama all the time! It is good! I don't think it tastes any different than beef, although a quite a bit leaner. If we have people over for dinner and I cook llama, no one ever notices that it isnt beef. My hubby says with the older, full, males, the meat tastes a bit like Elk, but I don't notice a thing. Lol, like with any old animal, the chops and roasts can be a little tough on the old boys, but the ground meat, stew meat and what not is excellent!
I haven't noticed to much for difference in taste or texture in relation to the llamas age except for the older, full males.
Lol, and I don't know how to tell how old a llama is, I just know with ours because we have them from birth.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have put alpaca in the freezer. It is similar to beef. The ones that went into the freezer were over 9 years old. Steaks and chops were tender. You just have to know how to cook them.

Latest posts