Llama need

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
What type of Llama requires the least care toward shearing as I have no real experience. I'm seriously considering buying a Llama but I don't care about the wool or fiber. I just want it for a guardian for my goats.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The old style light wooled llama would probably be good for you. They would probably still have to be shorn every other year or so.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. Light wool and nothing fancy. Shearing is a breeze to do yourself with a friendly llama, but it can range from $30-$50 or more to have someone else do it. I sheared mine this year with a pair of electric dog shears and some scissors.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Ugh, high prices. Luckily I live in Iowa and there are LOTS of quilters around here, who love fresh wool from sheep, llama's, alpaca's and just about anything else they can spin into yarn. I was told by a friend of my mother that I have medium wool llama's too which I shrugged and said she could have it if she paid to have them sheared once or twice a year. Man you would of thought she won the lottery! No less than a day later she had a friend who owned several hundred sheep come over and shear my ladies. I was surprised how well they both stood for him as he gently sheared away. Of course the next day the temps dropped and I had to put horse blankets on them till some hair grows back.:(

Latest posts