Llama throwing up?

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can't believe the last two posts in here will be mine. :rolleyes:

Anywhoo~

This morning we were weaning the lambs off their mums and so moving the llamas a long too. For now our two llamas are separated, One with the mums and one with the babies. We had Mocha, already moved in with her sheep and settled.

Butterscotch i was leading with grain up to the new pasture, as all the sheep had gone and she wasn't too keen on following them. She was coming fine, and only eating little bites of grain (probably three mouth fulls total, with time in between each) and all of a sudden she just stopped eating, walked back to where she had started. She then laid down and started to puke saliva and grain. I masaged her throat and neck and didn't feel any bumps or anything. She stopped after a few minutes but then just laid there. (head up and alert)

My dad and sister said it was because she was stressed, i think she was choking. What do you think? Could it be something wrong? Please help? :(

My dad still wants to move her tonight to the other pasture but I'm worried about her being sick and i don't want to use more grain.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its hard to say. Was it hot when you were moving her. That would support the stress theory.
Could be she was eating grain and a bit agitated and got a wad stuck, but was able to get it out on her own. But maybe the exp. shook her up a bit.
I would go ahead and keep her with her sheep myself, but keep an eye on her.

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
alsea1 said:
Its hard to say. Was it hot when you were moving her. That would support the stress theory.
Could be she was eating grain and a bit agitated and got a wad stuck, but was able to get it out on her own. But maybe the exp. shook her up a bit.
I would go ahead and keep her with her sheep myself, but keep an eye on her.
Thanks so much for the fast reply!

That's all i needed to hear :) just that she wasn't dying or something terrible.
It is relatively hot today