1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Llama vs. Alpaca

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Llamas and Alpacas' started by lee&lyric, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Oct 22, 2011
    lee&lyric

lee&lyric Chillin' with the herd

I just read the recommended reading by elevan. I can't remember right now why I decided upon alpacas some months ago after reading. However, now I am wondering if I need to rethink. I want to learn to spin wool into yarn, but also want our backyard fam guarded. My question then is, will alpaca guard or is that an absolute no-no?

Thanks.

Lyric

2. Oct 22, 2011
    lee&lyric

This "may" have answered my own question:

My cousin is in England and sent me the following link about Prince Charles using alpacas to guard his sheep.

3. Oct 22, 2011
    Ms. Research

Ms. Research Herd Nerd On A Mission

You got me curious as to Llamas and Alpacas. I keep showing DH Elevan's Jerry and Peaches.

So I did some googling and found that on Australia Alpaca (www.alpaca.asn.au) they recommend alpacas.

But on Sheep 201 I found this:

Though I'm more prone to lean toward a Dog, I would lean more towards a Llama for protection than alpaca. Lots of information out there on Alpacas though. Was interesting to read about. :)

4. Oct 22, 2011
    lee&lyric

Now THIS is eye opening, Ms. Research. It looks like my fiber alpaca will need guarding themselves. Humph, that's why research is an important precursor to purchase. Thanks. :)

5. Oct 22, 2011
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

Alpacas usually won't guard. They also aren't large enough to stomp a coyote or dog. A llama is large enough. But....you have to be sure and get a guard llama. Not every llama will guard. There are some alpacas that will guard but they are much fewer than llamas.

6. Nov 9, 2011
    Tashi

Tashi Chillin' with the herd

I've got three intact males, and they've seen of our choccie labs plenty of times and the fox on one occasion. We used to have problems with foxes and our chickens but since we've had our alpacas this has stopped completely. It's actually a first for me that they can't be used as guardians!! I guess it's where you're from/what they're guarding/what they're guarding from etc.

Good luck!! (With the spinning as well!)

7. Nov 9, 2011
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

I take it the alpacas are in with the chickens? I would guess that the larger animal is intimidating to the fox and foxes are small enough that an alpaca probably could stomp it to death. I have found that the hawks and turkey vultures stay away from our chickens since our goats are out in the field with them. So I think just the larger animal out in the field with the chickens can make a big difference.

8. Nov 9, 2011
    kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Overrun with beasties

I read that Alpacas may take out and run alongside of the other animals if a predator comes in the chicken yard and won't protect.

9. Jan 3, 2012
    CaliforniabeachHerd

CaliforniabeachHerd Just born

I have an LGD, a Leonberger, to protect the chickens & the alpacas; but I think our alpacas could take care of themselves against our biggest predators, coyotes. They do seem to act as a group to chase our 100 pound dog out of the corral. That being said, they're certainly not regarded as a herd protector, like a llama.

10. Jan 3, 2012
    livn4myanimals

livn4myanimals Just born

I've read that it can vary with individual animals.
    Some Alpacas can be very good, others may not be. Personally, my two intact alpaca boys are pretty good, I've seen them chase small animals, and they certainly don't run away scared when my in-laws dogs come around. They are quite the opposite, very alert and on guard. The dogs seem to keep their distance, though. I've never seen them chase the alpacas.

Of course, maybe it has to do with the fact that I have a "guardian horse" in with the alpacas too. :lol: