Llorelei Needs Here Own Thread -- She's Doing Terrific

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, I've had a horrible year and now I'm looking at two very sick llamas. Weather has been awful and we've had a sudden shift to below zero weather after having nothing but rain before that and the grossest mud. We lost Sid because he was 21 years old. We lost Rico at 14 due to cancer. Now, we have two sick llamas (Roland 8 and Llorelei 1). I had given everyone ivermectin shots to treat the hair loss that everyone got and it is enough to combat meningeal worm. They all have the CDT shots.

Roland refused to get up first. He had gotten an ear infection from a fight and it was obvious he got a fever. He is inside the barn with a coat because he had lost his hair due to some skin condition. He hasn't gotten up, but eats okay. Tonight he was acting like he might get up. I had lanced his ear and he's on antibiotics twice a day (Pen G).

Tonight Llorelei refused to get up. Brought her into the barn and fed her. She can't get her front legs to work. So, I fed her and have in the barn with water and food.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I will get a phone call into the vet, but honestly, I don't think they can do anything I'm not doing already. I'm thinking about giving them both B vitamin shots. I don't want to lose these two.

Thoughts?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs I really don't know but have they had a different dewormer? Discovered we have Ivermectin resistant parasites this summer. Sounds like what happened with my donkeys... we never did discover why.

I would do the vitamin b, wouldn't hurt.n

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Could it be a combination of things? You mention hair loss and weakness.. a mineral deficiency? or wrong minerals? Like copper for goats but not sheep? I'm just guessing as I know nothing about llamas... Sorry you're dealing with sick animals once again this year :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big hugs, I also know nothing about llamas, but will pray that your llamas get better.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hugs I really don't know but have they had a different dewormer? Discovered we have Ivermectin resistant parasites this summer. Sounds like what happened with my donkeys... we never did discover why.

I would do the vitamin b, wouldn't hurt.n

True. I used Ivermectin shots because of risk of meningeal worms. No apparent problems with anemia. I may go with Panacur next to see if they can improve.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about llamas, but I sure hope you and/or the vet can figure out something to help them.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Vet didn't call me back. :rant

Checked both of them and noticed that they are anemic. Decided to give them Ivermectin paste and banamine. Roland will get his shot of antibiotics. I may have to see what to dose them on Fenbendazole.