Llorelei Needs Here Own Thread -- She's Doing Terrific

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is really good news. Hoping that this will all be behind you and that she is on the mend; always nice to see them fight us. You certainly have earned the llama owner of the year award, she is lucky to have you.

Thanks. If I had been on my toes more, I might have been able to save the four boys. It sickens me that I had to bury so many this year. I guess if you take anything from this, don't trust what vets say. Even so called experts in the area. I had to correct a vet on what actually worked on Epe. :smack Another vet looked at me oddly when I mentioned Epe (but to give him credit, he wasn't claiming to be a llama vet).

If a llama could be angry at me, it's Llorelei. She runs away when I approach her so catching her for her shots and medications make life interesting. She's thin, but she runs away from me. Getting bit by a doe llama is actually amusing. They have no fighting teeth and only lower incisors in the front so it's like getting gummed. Kicking though, I will avoid. Luckily, she's a little thing so when I do catch her, I can hold her and get the medications into her.

Dang, I miss the others. They were such good llamas.:(

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you and the llamas have been thru hell.
Trying to keep animals can be a roller coaster of ups and downs.
We will all be praying that your girl continues to get better and you manage to dodge those kicks.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's awesome news!!!

Don't beat yourself up. ( I do the same thing, it doesn't help. ) Use it as a learning experience. She's alive and kicking ( pun intended ) and that's amazing!

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww, I'm so glad Sky!! :hugs I can't imagine how happy you must be to see her up and about again! You have been through soooo much!! Like @Ferguson K stated, don't beat yourself up! You did everything you knew/could to help them, and it is not your fault that some of them didn't make it! You have worked so hard to help these guys/gals! :hugs

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
yup, what they said. quit picking on yourself! you did everything you knew to do and kept on learning and pushing to get the answers you needed.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SkyWarrior, so how's your girl doing? Llorelei should be very impressed by the number of fans she has on BYH! I'd ask you to give her neck a big hug for me, but you might just get bit and that would be a bummer... understandable but still a bummer. How about an updated picture of the miracle llama, please and thank you.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Llorelei is doing terrific. I've been keeping her in the barn to keep warm but she's been ransacking the place (we have a pile of trash we need to move out and she knocks that all over), trying to get in all the grain, and turning the lights on and off. Her hair is growing back and she's fat from eating the hay. I'll take some picts of her today when I put her out in the goat pen. She's bewildered because she no longer has a llama buddy, but we'll be looking for one when the snow goes away and we can get the trailer out. Now that I know what Epe looks like--and it is subtle at first--I know to get them started on oxytetracycline right away. Oh, and I have more complaints about vets because one of my wethers is recovering when the vets claimed he have poor results treating them. Maybe I'll be writing Llorelei's tribulations in Mother Earth's News. If I do, I'll go ahead and notify you all under a blog/notebook thread here. I'll also post photos of the critters and what I'm doing.