LMP's 2019 Farrowing Thread: New babies from Lucy and Prissy

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We recently purchased two new gilts off of a couple in NY. They are both bred, with one of them being 100% confirmed by their vet. They said the vet was unsure on the second girl, however, they got them scanned very early on and these girls are quite fat, even for the breed which is a naturally fat pig. They also said that they did not behave during scanning. Both girls are getting pretty big, and if their owners got the breeding date right the first girl will be due Feb 26. But we all know how due dates go, so I will be keeping a close eye on both of them, most likely I will move them in the barn a week prior. We also bought the sire, he is a very friendly boar we named Atlas.

Our main sow Priss is taking a break so she can put weight back on. She blessed us with 19 beautiful piglets from two separate litters in 2018 and it has really taken a toll on her. She gives everything to her babies, which is a desirable trait in a sow, however, she needs to put some weight on before we breed her again.

Here is the gilt who is further along, she doesn't have a name yet. She is a gentle girl, loves to get scratches.
IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

Here is the other gilt who I named Maeja(my-ah) and she is a sweetheart, she loves belly rubs
IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

Here are the girls together
IMG_6025.JPG

Un-named gilt and Atlas
IMG_6040.JPG

This is Atlas, he lives for belly rubs
IMG_6046.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like he "lives to eat!" That's a pretty hefty mouthful of grasses there! They sure blend in well when they lie down in the grass. Might not be the case when the grass is green/growing. Of course by then, they may have the pasture rooted up to look like the barren area the other pigs are now living in. :idunno Hope they're both pregnant, hope no birthing issues, hope for healthy piglets and lots of them! :fl

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks to me like he "lives to eat!" That's a pretty hefty mouthful of grasses there! They sure blend in well when they lie down in the grass. Might not be the case when the grass is green/growing. Of course by then, they may have the pasture rooted up to look like the barren area the other pigs are now living in. :idunno Hope they're both pregnant, hope no birthing issues, hope for healthy piglets and lots of them! :fl
He is actually gathering “dry” grass to use as bedding. The rest of the gang will be out in the pasture soon so it will get all rooted up. Im excited for more striped piggies! The october litter has grown out of theirs.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I think we will be seeing babies sooner than anticipated. It was lovely out today so I went to see the girls and Maeja is starting to develop and udder. It's the very beginning stages, just a little puff in her teats that wasn't there before. We also felt and saw lots of action from her babies, which tells me it will probably be a month max. before we see her little ones. From my notes on Priss the first time I documented movement was 18 days before she had them, and for Emmy it was 16. Im ready to see a batch of little striped babes.

Last edited:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Maeja is so uncomfortable. Cannot blame her, those babies act like her uterus is a punching bag. Both girls came inside today as it will be getting very cold and with Maeja bagging up we dont want to risk losing any babies. With that being said we still have no idea when she will go but we have got a close eye on her.

E1B52A99-A939-4E14-BEFA-1C20908F7683.jpeg

You can see she is starting to get a bit swollen.
C997063A-33D7-42FD-924A-03BB59EA1053.jpeg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yes! Milk bar becoming visible! shouldn't be too long. That looks like 2 pregnant sows... ? Are there 2 getting ready?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yes! Milk bar becoming visible! shouldn't be too long. That looks like 2 pregnant sows... ? Are there 2 getting ready?
They are both coming along though Maeja is the only one bagging up. They are sisters and have a very strong bond so we wont seperate them until the first litter arrives :)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I was just thinking. Whenever we have a decent sized snowstorm it seems that the mamas give birth the next day. Its happened twice now, once with Rosie and once with Priss. And supposedly we have one coming tomorrow. I doubt it will be that soon but who knows!