LMP's 2019 Farrowing Thread: New babies from Lucy and Prissy

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alright so, final count between four litters is 19 alive. Let me explain.

So Callie started showing earlier last week, she gave birth while I was at work on Friday night. I went to check up on her cause ya girl had a hunch something was up. So she gave birth in the shelter with the other pigs which caused 3 of the babes to be crushed. However there were 3 alive which i scooped up and moved into the barn. Next morning all three were dead, chilled I believe idek and one new baby who was ok. So out of seven Callie had one survive.

The next day before work I set up a very makeshift shelter because I was hoping Prissy would use it.
1A8723A1-8F0F-4EFA-A1F5-785157B7AA4E.jpeg

The whole day she was acting very mellow and had her milk in some so I knew it would be soon. The next morning I arrived to a brood of nine babies. She had carried 13, two crawled away and two were very underdeveloped. One disappeared on the first night so she was left with eight.

Yesterday morning a young gilt who just started showing like two days ago gave birth to a single baby boy. And Lu went into labor in the afternoon. I had to leave her around 2 to get ready for work and at that point she had five of her own plus the little boar from Mavis as Mae had no interest in her baby. On my dinner break I checked to see Lu had nine of her own and had passed the afterbirth. Mavis later decided she would co-raise the babes w/ Lucy so thats what they are doing now. All ten made it through the first night

Lu nursing as Mavis is on guard
40E50FF0-4053-460C-8E7C-265B6103CA1D.jpeg

the babes were loving the sun today, even Prissy’s brood have gone to bask in the rays. You can see Mavis and Lu watching over their babes. And Prissy is watching from behind the pallet.
7E95C47A-0E2F-4628-AE35-B1D602EA1F4D.jpeg

Lu in early labor watching over Mae’s lil boy
5F68D2B7-13A9-4049-B749-21A8BE5C2296.jpeg

Prissy’s brood taking a sunbathing intermission to get some milk.
4DC24592-58A8-4694-8D7B-4D9B58D81F1C.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amber you live!!!!!!! Maybe you've not noticed but we've been worried by your absence.

Smerlo0417

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We recently purchased two new gilts off of a couple in NY. They are both bred, with one of them being 100% confirmed by their vet. They said the vet was unsure on the second girl, however, they got them scanned very early on and these girls are quite fat, even for the breed which is a naturally fat pig. They also said that they did not behave during scanning. Both girls are getting pretty big, and if their owners got the breeding date right the first girl will be due Feb 26. But we all know how due dates go, so I will be keeping a close eye on both of them, most likely I will move them in the barn a week prior. We also bought the sire, he is a very friendly boar we named Atlas.

Our main sow Priss is taking a break so she can put weight back on. She blessed us with 19 beautiful piglets from two separate litters in 2018 and it has really taken a toll on her. She gives everything to her babies, which is a desirable trait in a sow, however, she needs to put some weight on before we breed her again.

Here is the gilt who is further along, she doesn't have a name yet. She is a gentle girl, loves to get scratches.
View attachment 56780

View attachment 56782

Here is the other gilt who I named Maeja(my-ah) and she is a sweetheart, she loves belly rubs
View attachment 56775

View attachment 56783

Here are the girls together
View attachment 56776

Un-named gilt and Atlas
View attachment 56779

This is Atlas, he lives for belly rubs
View attachment 56784

Smerlo0417

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We recently purchased two new gilts off of a couple in NY. They are both bred, with one of them being 100% confirmed by their vet. They said the vet was unsure on the second girl, however, they got them scanned very early on and these girls are quite fat, even for the breed which is a naturally fat pig. They also said that they did not behave during scanning. Both girls are getting pretty big, and if their owners got the breeding date right the first girl will be due Feb 26. But we all know how due dates go, so I will be keeping a close eye on both of them, most likely I will move them in the barn a week prior. We also bought the sire, he is a very friendly boar we named Atlas.

Our main sow Priss is taking a break so she can put weight back on. She blessed us with 19 beautiful piglets from two separate litters in 2018 and it has really taken a toll on her. She gives everything to her babies, which is a desirable trait in a sow, however, she needs to put some weight on before we breed her again.

Here is the gilt who is further along, she doesn't have a name yet. She is a gentle girl, loves to get scratches.
View attachment 56780

View attachment 56782

Here is the other gilt who I named Maeja(my-ah) and she is a sweetheart, she loves belly rubs
View attachment 56775

View attachment 56783

Here are the girls together
View attachment 56776

Un-named gilt and Atlas
View attachment 56779

This is Atlas, he lives for belly rubs
View attachment 56784
They are adorable! They look kind of like Muppets. I wish you luck with the farrowings. Keep us posted.

S

shuvasishphotography

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping for the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites