Local Working Breeds

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feist. Sometimes spelled Fice or Fyce. Developed in rural south. There are references to the breed in George Washington's diary.

They are a hunting dog, primarily squirells, but they are also good for controlling rats around livestock areas.

My grandparents had them, I remember one named Tinker and one named Precious.

I couldn't remember what they were called, so I called my uncle last night.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_(dog)

I was thinking the same thing, a customer of ours called then squirrel dogs. I'd never heard of them before a few years ago. Very popular this side of Raleigh at least, not sure about the rest of the state.
Our customer said he has to pen his when not working the dog, one concrete-6ft high fence w/top as they can escape anything.:eek:

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My sister had a Feist for a pet several years ago. He had one person in the extended family he did not like. He would latch onto his pant leg and not let go. Sounded Vicious!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I find it interesting Feists seem so common in the East. I faintly remember hearing about one on a holiday dog show but that is it.

Triseratops

Just born
Reaction score
I managed to find a picture of a typical Idaho fuzzy
View attachment 5576

They come in all sorts of patterns but this would be considered one.

Do you remember where you got this photo? It looks exactly like my dog from Burley, ID—except for the brown points—and I am trying to figure out his particular mix, who might be breeding them, etc.

Thanks!!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
This was actually a photo I found from a rescue in Gooding County.
I know many of them include airedale terrier.
Try checking in at your local farm stores .