LocoYokel - Born in a Barn

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hay is just grass hay with Fescue, Red clover Timothy, and other grasses that I grow out back and my neighbor bales for me in exchange for my help baling his.
It is already long. His baler runs it between rollers that squeeze out the moisture and crimps and bends at 4" intervals. It is in the square (rectangle) bales and comes apart in flakes. My rabbits go through a flake in 2 or 3 nights.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Went out to check baby bunz: Tilda's box is boiling, she has it almost full to the top with fur and straw and the whole thing looked like it was ready to bubble over. I wouldn't be surprised it those kits are out on the wire in the next day or two.
Ella is still in her nestbox, she is laying well forward so I hope she is not on her kits. I am not so worried about how cold it got last nite, now I am worried about her smothering them. She moved right into that nestbox as soon as it was in and used it for her own bed. Should I give her a box to lay in? Would that confuse her?
(Speaking of confused... I keep forgetting what I have posted where between this journal and my kindling thread, so if anyone is reading both don't be surprised if you see some copy/paste going on...)
Now I just need to catch her out of the nest so I can check and do a bit of cleaning if needed. I don't want to make her move out as I feel that would be sending her the wrong message. She is so sweet: I really want her to be a good momma, a "keeper" if you will...

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Six new bunz in the nestbox! She hasn't pulled much fur, hopefully that will change.
20170328_121159.jpg 20170328_121224.jpg

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Captain's Log: Stardate/Earth 03.20.17
The Mothership Suki is now seven days overdue from landing. Her orbit is holding steady but there is no sign of any crew.
We here at Starbase Barn are beginning to believe this was a "False Mission" sent by Fleet Command to test our reaction limits and knowledge base. I find no fault in my officers, as Captain I am fully responsible for any mission failures.
Fleet General Pookie will be arriving from Starbase Farm in ten days to review the situation. At that time the "Suki" will be restocked and sent out for her third voyage.
View attachment 29723

Captain's Log: Stardate/Earth o4.14.17
Mothership Suki has been restocked for her third voyage.
Due to Fleet General Pookie's tribble trouble Fleet General FurNando did the inspection and gave an "All systems go."
The "Suki" has been restationed into permanent quarters in the new fleet barn. All future flights shall now originate from those co-ordinates.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I finally got that "hi, this is me" edit tossed into my first post on this thread, about time! Well, at least I got a start on it, there is more... o_O, but I still have a few more days left on a house remodel (I'll take a few pics when it is done) and time is scarce.
I did get time to click a few pics:
20170323_110238.jpg 20170414_184204.jpg 20170414_185227.jpg 20170414_185317.jpg
My BSL girls. The pet/meat kits from Tilda. The litter with white kits are the Flemish Giant X Checkered Giant. They are as big at 2.5 weeks as the median size meat type 4.5 week olds. I know bad weather has had some issues with the older kits but it will be interesting to watch the development differences between the two. I will breed Tilda to the Flemish (Pookie, he comes visits sometimes:cool:) for her next litter.
(... and here I go all rabbity again, HELLO Me, you have a kindling thread for this! :he )

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
...and finally (drumroll please): I have had the last surgery on my upper gum today! It should be healed enough in 7-10 days and then I can go get my denture! Food, I so want real food food that you CHEW!; this process has taken over 3 years and has really wore me down. There is an ugly story behind it but I am not up to sharing it tonite! (Catch ya later on that :rant if anyone wants to hear.)
Easter was very bittersweet this year. My kitty Edgrrr finally lost the battle with his respiratory disease. It was affecting the quality of his life and had been affecting his general health harshly this past winter. He was 12 years, a rescue kitten of 8 weeks when I got him and a total nut job his whole life... a real character.
DSCF0094.JPG

RIP Edgrrr, a piece of my heart shall always be with you.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you'll be able to eat real food again soon. My teeth are pretty bad too, but I still have enough to get the job done. If I had a spare 44 grand I'd spring for full implants, top and bottom. I don't want dentures. Sorry about your cat.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Latestarter the last thing I ever wanted was a denture. Unfortunately as a kid I had a lot of high fevers and several illnesses that caused my teeth to be weak to begin with. Having a horse try to rear over backward on me and getting a mouthful of poll did not help much either! It knocked all 4 front teeth loose and by the time they steadied they were mule teeth. I have had so much pain and myriad problems from my upper teeth that it is a relief to finally have them gone.
My lowers are in ok shape and I am working hard on keeping them there! I only wish I could go the implant rout myself, I only hear great things about them.

I am really going to miss my Edgrrr, now Borhiss is my last and he is a total dat (cat that thinks he's a dog). I will not be getting any more kitties unless I find a barn cat candidate. With doggie doors into the house we will see how long that may last....:lol:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your cat, what a beautiful coat and it's always hardest to lose the ones with a lot of character :hugs