LocoYokel's kindling thread (aka What the ???)

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I offer rose leaves when I have a bun that isn't eating pellets. I also put white Karo syrup in the water bottle. Use just enough to make the water sweet.

I agree with the suggestion to try oats. I use the "old-fashion" oatmeal... the kind you have to cook, not the instant stuff.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have your tried oats or BOSS?

I agree, Oats may spark her interest

I agree with the suggestion to try oats

I offer rose leaves when I have a bun that isn't eating pellets.

Thank You! I need to go to the feed store today, I will be picking up some oats and BOSS along with my other feed. I didn't know about the rose leaves, she will be getting some. I have over 20 roses, they can all have a bite! (I don't use chemicals on them.)
The kits looked about the same again this a.m. She is going into the nest, more fur pulled. Her nipples are really showing now so they seem to be nursing. It looked like she ate about 6 of the Calf Manna pellets but that is all. Maybe I should offer the CM in a separate dish.
In the meantime I will continue clipping greens for her. The neighbors haven't mowed at all this year, I can sneak over there for grass...;)

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Suki seems to be doing better. At least she is eating and drinking more, did lose one kit tho.
The oats and BOSS really caught her interest. Feeding that and the Calf Manna in a separate bowl and still giving handfuls of grass n greens 4-5 times a day. I also cleaned out her feeder (16%) and have went back to 18% pellets, the bit of $ I was saving on the bag was lost with the rabbits not liking it.
Now Suki is doing something else I have never seen a rabbit do, she has two nests in her box. First time I noticed I just figured the lil' guys had crawled up front so I put them back into the kit pile at the rear of the box. My mistake, every time I go out there some are in the back hollow, some in the front. I have quit trying to keep them together.
Mama Suki is definitely feeling better, she is getting aggressive with me so I'll only be making a daily head count from now on.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine get very few greens. I periodically give red clover and rose petals. I know they haven't built up to digesting greens, so I do not push the envelope. I always keep rolled oats on hand for loose stools or diarrhea, but seldom have to use it.

Mine get grass hay every evening, and alfalfa pellets with 16% protein every morning. I also give calf mana and BOSS each morning. The domestic rabbits haven't developed to eat the same foods as their wild cousins. Some folks like to do an entire organic diet, but that takes time to adjust to. It has to be a slow process, with small quantities until they adjust. Mine will never be able to have large amounts of greens/fresh plants, and my juniors do not get fresh or green plants, etc.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, meant to comment on the two nests too. Mine do this more in the hot months than the winter. They do it on their own, and seem to be able to nurse easier spread out some, so as Mom jumps in they are more divided to her fore and rear teats.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine get very few greens. I periodically give red clover and rose petals. I know they haven't built up to digesting greens, so I do not push the envelope.
I very rarely give fresh greens to mine but for a treat and that only in season. When this doe quit eating altogether is when I really started introducing the greens to her and then still slowly.
Oh, meant to comment on the two nests too. Mine do this more in the hot months than the winter. They do it on their own, and seem to be able to nurse easier spread out some, so as Mom jumps in they are more divided to her fore and rear teats.
O Thank You! I was worried she was going to starve one end! I have seen litters spread out in the heat but never such young ones and never two such distinctive nests in one box.

The learning curve this doe has put me on is ridiculous! Things were so much easier when I just went out and "fed 'em 'n bred 'em". Gotta admit I am loving every minute of it, even those "frantic panic" modes. To think of all the stress attacks I avoided in the past from being an uneducated rabbit breeder...;)
On that note I should mention that I removed another kit yesterday, failure to thrive. The remaining five are some of the fattest and fastest growing kits I have ever seen. Think I will keep pumpin' those dandelion leaves to Suki!:clap

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got a couple pics, glad I did... lost three more in the past two days. I thought they were a bit sluggish on Tuesday but attributed it to the heat. 20170704_175021.jpg
The two closest to the camera are the two that are left. I did see the wink of an eye today, hope these make it to weaning.