LocoYokel's kindling thread (aka What the ???)

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
4 weeks old today:
20170721_162802.jpg 20170721_162827.jpg 20170721_162901.jpg
Eyeliner, brows, perfect lil' bow over the nose: This kit is too cute... it has to find a 'pet life'!

Clawdya and Shydoe are getting big!
4 months old:20170721_162603.jpg 20170721_162622.jpg
I can really see the Flemish Giant in Clawdya, (fawn) especially the head. Both girls have totally outgrown the meatmutts born a week earlier. It is time to start harvesting those, I will be keeping better records on weight and gain from here on out.....

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh they are all so cute! I am so glad to see that the little kit is still doing well. Cute names too :)

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:( Lost the kit.:(
No sign of runny bottom, was doing OK and nibbling hay yesterday evening. :idunno

It's time to get another litter started, I think Ella this time. I want to see if her kits by FurNando gain faster than
Tilda's kits by him. DH will have to supervise this time. Put my back out a few days ago and the rabbits are too heavy for me to lift.

If it's not one thing then it's another: Life and times of a barn mother. :barnie

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unproven does are so unpredictable. Sometimes milk doesn't come in at first, and a litter dwindles down. Generally if that happens once, rebreeding quickly will get the hormones engaged and the milk will come in better next time. Sometimes the genetics weren't right to start with and kits fail to thrive. All you can do is make sure her nutrition is good and protein is up for breeding and nursing.

One other thing I thought of is the heat you were mentioning. If it gets over 86-87 degs in my rabbit shed, I introduce frozen 2 liter water bottles to each bunny. It gets hotter in the nest boxes and they will smother, so I place a 1 liter bottle in those.

Maybe you already do all that. I wouldn't count her kindle on the wire as a strike, or the couple times she didn't get bred. If anything, this time could be strike 1, but in the end it's a gut call you have to make.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My computer deleted all of my calendar notes during an update. Thank goodness I have most of it here! Back to keeping "hard copy" records.