Lol yet another fencing thread

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looking at fencing for sheep, goats and cows 4"x4" squares woven wire 4'x330' The options are so confusing... I wished there was a companion guide or something. I've decided that I will buy my fencing from Tractor Supply, I have a Love/Hate relationship with Rural King, currently the needle is leaning towards hate.

Option #1 $220.00
https
://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hinge-joint-sheep-goat-fence

Pros
Thick wire, made in USA, $120.00
Cons
Hinge joint, No warranty info, No breaking weight listed. No coating mentioned so I assume highly subject to rusting, Only available in my area as special order.

Option #2 $240.00
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-goat-fence-48-in-x-330-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Pros
Made in USA Class 1 galvanization, heavy wire 10ga Upper & Lower / 12ga Filler, Square Deal® Knot. Available (in stock) at the store.

Cons
No warranty information, No weight Breakage weighting, High Tinsel wire, highly subject to rusting.

Option #3 $250.00
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ence-330-ft-1348-4-125-ga-213412?cm_vc=-10005

Pros Made in USA, "S" knot, Bezinal coating on the metal wire fence lasts at least 30 years.

Cons 12.5ga stay wire 14ga filler wires, 805 lbs breaking strength. Only available as special order.

Other options... (less desirable)
Field fence
Cattle panels

i'm so flipping confused... 🆘

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can I ask why you don't like RK? I have love/hate for TSC, lol.

There's a number of reasons... But mainly their employees are they are rude, staff turn over is high, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and the store is a disorganized train wreck.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought you had decided on this type of fencing....the electric sheep fencing.

1609079756032.png

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a number of reasons... But mainly their employees are they are rude, staff turn over is high, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and the store is a disorganized train wreck.

Same for my local TSCs. They also don't order what I ask, they just ignore it or "forget" & I have to nag them every week until they do it. And then they may not call me when order arrives or worse, sell it out from under me when it should be held for me. Ugh.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same for my local TSCs. They also don't order what I ask, they just ignore it or "forget" & I have to nag them every week until they do it. And then they may not call me when order arrives or worse, sell it out from under me when it should be held for me. Ugh.
Order online, pay for it and pick up at local TSC. Easy. If a store orders it, it may or may not show up. If customer orders online, it shows up.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd try this one first. It sounds like it would be the best one to stretch for a tight fence. @Mike CHS what say you?

Half of our fence is Red Brand and they didn't carry that particular fence when I got mine but half of our fence are from bekaert. I like the Gaucho because it's as strong as Red Brand, half the weight (so I can handle it alone) and the price is reasonable.

Edit to add that the Gaucho is not recommended for goats. I had forgotten and was thinking just sheep and cattle.

Last edited:

Latest posts